Ink will stain the skin of Columbus Friday through Sunday as tattoo enthusiasts and artists from around the world come together at the Hyatt Regency for the Hell City Tattoo Festival.
This is the ninth edition of Hell City Tattoo Festival, titled “Fire It Up,” which is put on by tattoo artists and features hundreds of world-renowned artists as well as emerging artists and collectors.

Anyone older than 18 can get tattooed at Hell City by one of these artists, a list which features artists from Ohio to Taiwan.

Visitors, known to the festival as Hellions, will have the chance to meet the artists and schedule tattoos early in the evening at the Sailor Jerry Rum Artist meet-and-greet at the Big Bar on 2. Artists from TLC’s television series “Tattoo Wars” will be amongs the artists in attendance.

After-parties will follow each day of the event at the Big Bar on 2, and massage therapist Juan Medina will be demonstrating his minimally invasive therapeutic massage treatment plan designed specifically for body modification artists.

Hell City claims to be different than any other tattoo festival for the diverse range of activities and performances offered that cannot be found elsewhere, according to the festival website.

“Hell city will amaze your eyes, ears and skin.”

The Art Fusion Experiment is a performance art piece held every day of the festival. It involves three to five artists collaborating on five to six canvases, changing canvases every few minutes while completing pieces of art in charcoal, pastels and other mediums.

“We are constantly working on the fest as well as new art projects that keep us really busy,” said event coordinator and tattoo artist Durb Morrison.

Expanding knowledge in various forms of body modification is offered in seminars ranging from “Bloodborne Pathogens and Principles of Infection Control” to “Successful Surface to Surface Piercings.”

On Saturday the main stage will feature the return of The Cutthroat Freakshow, demonstrating a “madcap blend of classic and original side show stunts executed with just enough precision not to maim anyone,” according to the festival website.

In addition to a fine art gallery, the festival will feature a wide variety of tattoo competitions throughout the weekend. Hell City uses computer judging programs that critique different artistic aspects of tattoos, in addition to a panel of artists for determining the competition winners.

Ensuring a family-friendly environment, the festival will also include the Heck City Kids Zone, where children can get their faces painted and receive temporary tattoos to fit in with the other ink lovers.

Additional events include a triple-book release party, live music and an appearance by Ms. Fitness USA 2007 Cara Samson.