Missing the playoffs for the eighth time in the Blue Jackets’ brief nine-year history was a disappointment the team, but R.J. Umberger is using his break to head back to school.

With time off, the former Buckeye All-American is back at Ohio State in pursuit of the college degree he began working toward nearly 10 years ago.

“This is something I set out to do at the beginning, and I like to see things completed,” Umberger said. “There is always life after hockey, and it helps me prepare for that.”

The 27-year-old marketing major is no stranger to taking classes in the off-season. He managed to take online classes four of the last five summers. However, Umberger has left the comfort of his own home this spring and is back on campus.

“Things have changed,” Umberger said. “The fact that I know I am older than everybody and I don’t know anybody, that is probably the biggest change.”

Enrolled in Marketing 750 and 758, the Blue Jackets winger needs just three more classes after this quarter to graduate.

He said he hopes to attain his degree by summer 2011.

To take classes, Umberger passed on playing hockey for team USA in this year’s World Championships.

“It was a hard decision,” Umberger said. “Based on the fact that it’s an incredible feeling and honor to represent your country, but my degree is important, and I have mapped out a plan here and put it within reach for next summer if I took classes now.”

Although classes, studying and exams are again part of his routine, Umberger said the “extracurricular activities” associated with college life aren’t on his agenda this time around.

“I’m strictly here to get classes done,” he said. “As soon as I am done with class, I get back home as soon as I can. I don’t hang around the college atmosphere.”