The roar of engines echoed throughout the Arena District on Saturday as hundreds of motorcycle enthusiasts gathered at the Roll on Columbus charity event at the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion.

Among the enthusiasts at this event benefiting Nationwide Children’s Hospital were members of Ohio State’s Buckeye Motorcycle Club.

Since 2003, the club has brought together OSU students who share a passion for riding motorcycles. Matthew Barber, a staff adviser for the club, has been a member since the organization formed.

For the past seven years, Barber has experienced the thrill and excitement that comes from riding.

“Riding a motorcycle is the closest thing to flying we can easily experience,” he said. “When you are out there cruising in the open air, it just pastes a smile on your face.”

Beau Carder, a fifth-year in mechanical engineering and the president of the club, developed an interest in motorcycles at a young age. His interest first developed from watching his uncle, who was a mechanic, work on motorcycles and ride them.

For the past five years, Carder has been riding street bikes, motorcycles designed for the road. He has found his rides on the track to be the most exhilarating of his motorcycle experiences.

“It’s fun to go out on the street, but you just can’t open it up like you can on the track,” he said.

One of Carder’s favorite tracks to visit is the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.

The course, which hosts several motorcycle and car races, gives motorcyclists the opportunity to experience the freedom of the track while receiving help from instructors.

“They’ll make your lap times a little faster every time,” Carder said.

Nathan Docken, a fourth-year in marketing, has experienced the twists and turns of the course firsthand.

“Passing people on the outside of turn one at Mid-Ohio is the greatest sensation I’ve ever felt,” Docken said.

In need of a new paint scheme for his bike, Docken allowed kids to design his motorcycle with their painted handprints and fingerprints at the Kid’s Zone area during Saturday’s event.

“It’ll for sure be the most unique-looking bike on campus and on track,” Docken said. “Hopefully it will turn heads and raise awareness for this worthy cause.”

In addition to food and live music, the event also included dirt bike races, miniature motorcycle races, stunt shows and a bike show.

In the past, the Motorcycle Club hosted a bike show in the alley of the South Campus Gateway. Carder said he hopes to revive the Gateway event in the future.

“Nobody ever does stuff like that on campus,” he said. “You can always go and see guys that have a bunch of money to spend on their bikes. You never see real students’ bikes, where the roots are.”

The bike night would give Carder the opportunity to showcase his prized possession: a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle.

“That’s my baby,” he said.