The combination of rapper Nas with reggae star Damian Marley (son of Bob) doesn’t immediately seem logical, but the album “Distant Relatives” proves the two knew what they were doing.

The group banded together in 2009 in an attempt to gather funds for building schools in Africa. Accordingly, the themes are anchored around Africa — the universality of African culture and the struggles of Africans worldwide.

The theme ties everything together nicely but the approach can come across a bit preachy. The point is heard loud and clear, but the guilt mongering can become a bit awkward for listeners of other races (read: white).

Complementing the theme is the music and production provided by Marley. The instrumental element is just that — entirely instrumental, as opposed to the standard electronic dance beats prevalent in hip-hop. Afrobeat-influenced percussion holds the rhythm in tracks like “Friends” and background choirs accompany the stars during several tracks.

Marley contributes lyrics as well but it’s Nas’ verses that shine. Marley provides an entertaining counterpart with his Jamaican-tinged vocals, but Nas is in his element as he laments the plight of African nations and promotes their revival with his confident tone.

If you’re looking for a way to be charitable, getting this album in return isn’t a bad deal at all.