Festivities at this year’s Memorial Tournament will start off with a bang this afternoon as tournament host Jack Nicklaus and nine of the world’s best golfers hit the links in the Memorial Skins Game.

Playing the back nine holes at Muirfield Village Golf Club, the skins game will feature two star-studded groupings. The groups will play for skins, different money amounts on each hole, both for themselves and The First Tee, a charity giving youngster’s the opportunity to learn about and play golf.

The first group will feature Nicklaus, Phil Mickelson, Sean O’Hair, Ernie Els and three-time Memorial champion Kenny Perry. Last year’s Memorial winner Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Steve Stricker, Zach Johnson and Jim Furyk will be teeing it up in the second group.

Paired with the Memorial’s Junior Golf Day, the skins game promotes a fun atmosphere for both players and fans, which includes players being miked and recorded for fan enjoyment.

“It’s just fun. There is a lot of bantering going on back there, a lot of needle-sticking in there, and a lot of aggravating,” Perry said. “Basically it’s for the crowd. They’re going to do it live on the Golf Channel so it is kind of the time where people can see another side of us.”

At the age of 70, however, Nicklaus says it’s not quite as easy as it used to be for the five-time PGA Player of the Year.

“Why I’m playing, I don’t know,” said Nicklaus, the 18-time major champion. “I tried to get it so I could play on the front nine. I can reach some of the par 4s there.”

But the guys who get to play next to him don’t care how many shots it takes him to hit the green. They are just thrilled to have the chance to play with one of the sport’s all-time greats.

“It’s always great to play with one of my heroes and it’s always fun to be around him,” Perry said. “Anytime we can get him out on the golf course and you can be a part of it and watch it, it’s always a neat feeling.”

But even Nicklaus’ son, Jack Nicklaus II, said you can never doubt the Golden Bear.

“We played on the weekend and he still plays pretty well, believe me,” Nicklaus II said. “Don’t count him out.”

With golf superstars of the past, present and future all going head-to-head, Nicklaus assures it will be a good time.