Thirty Rosemore Middle School students stay behind after the school day is over. They are enrolled in an after school program where they are helped with homework and team-building exercises.

Their latest project is to create their own feature film.

For months, these students have been working on a film titled “Did You Hear?” The young adults have been in charge of almost the entire production. Acting, writing, producing and everything short of dealing with the filming equipment have been done by these young filmmakers.

The program in charge of this task is called KIDSConnect VIVARAP. Michaela Taylor, the project manager who has been with the group for seven years, said the experience has been beneficial.

“It empowers them,” Taylor said. “They see they can create something from a simple idea to a huge project like this, and know they’ve been a part of it throughout the entire process.”

Two groups from Ohio State helped the middle school students. Reel Buckeye and The Film & Video Society are two film-tech savvy groups of OSU students who assisted in filming and editing “Did You Hear?”

Four OSU students were involved in the project. They met with the young adults days before filming to get acquainted.

Jarred Kaiser, who helped shoot and is the president of Reel Buckeye, said he enjoyed working with the kids. This was his second time helping KIDSConnect with their film project.

“The kids are awesome,” Kaiser said. “They’re great to work with and they’re really professional. Some of the kids were really good actors and surprised me a lot.”

During breaks from filming, the middle school students learned some basics about filming, such as novice camera skills. Later in the process, when credits were being worked on, the Rosemore students were taken to OSU. They saw the studios OSU filmmakers use and how certain scenes can be edited.

At the beginning of the program process, Rosemore students brainstormed for the theme of their film. Taylor said the film focuses on social responsibilities, incorporating topics of teen relationships and the effect a mentor can have in their lives. She also mentioned how the filming process itself, has helped the students in a similar fashion.

“They’re working with a diverse group of peers,” Taylor said. “They’re working with each other from different cultures, and they really have to learn how to accept each other, work with each other and respect each other. That’s really important for students today and in this age group.”

“Did You Hear?” will be shown in the Gateway Film Center in South Campus. When the movie is shown in the theater, a red carpet will be laid out past the lobby for the young stars to have their pictures taken.

The event is free for the public, and students from the KIDSConnect program who are from schools not involved with the film will also be invited.

Jennifer Kam, assistant professor at OSU’s School of Communication, will lead a question-and-answer session. On the discussion panel will be both Rosemore and OSU students involved with the film.

The event will take place at 6 p.m. Wednesday.