A new living and learning community for U.S. military veteran, active duty, reserve and National Guard students at Ohio State will welcome residents Autumn Quarter.

The housing, which will open its doors June 20, offers furnished single- and double-occupancy rooms ranging from $350 to $640 a month for 10 or 12 month contracts.

Residents will receive kitchen privileges, central heating and air conditioning, on-site laundry and free Internet access. They will also receive access to veterans-only general education curriculum classes.

The house is one of many off-campus properties included in the Hall Complex on 17th Avenue.

Susannah Turner, associate director of Resident Life at the Office of Student Life, said the project has been in the works for about a year.

“Those who come back (from duty) have different needs for housing,” she said. “There could be communication issues regarding setting up housing due to being overseas or they may have transitional issues coming out of wartime to civilian life.”

This living environment gives veteran students the opportunity to live with other OSU students who have had similar experiences.

“We’re excited to provide veteran students the opportunity to have the college experience,” Turner said.

Brian Tomlinson, housing manager at the Office of Student Life, will be the housing coordinator for this complex.

“In the first year of the program, we will focus on developing an identity for the community, building relationships with the offices that will provide the necessary resources for the veterans,” Tomlinson said. “I imagine that we will learn a lot from the residents about what they need to be successful on campus, as well.”

He said his hope for the program is to provide special assistance to students as they transition into the OSU community.

For Tomlinson, whose responsibilities as the housing coordinator include living on-site at the Hall Complex, it is a community of students he can relate to.

“I come from a family of veterans and appreciate the service of those in uniform,” he said. “It will be a true honor to work so closely with these residents.”

Prospective residents should contact the Veteran’s House community coordinator, Susan Hanson, at [email protected]. The housing will be located at 237 E. 17th Ave.