As injuries have plagued the Cleveland Indians early in 2010, they have tapped into the Columbus Clippers roster for relief. And with a disappointing start of the season for the Indians, there may be opportunities for more of the Clippers roster to make an impact at the major-league level.

New arrivals

Hector Ambriz has recorded a 4.15 ERA with eight strikeouts and three walks in 8.2 innings pitched for the Indians. After a solid start of the year with the Clippers, he has provided the Indians with stability out of the bullpen. The Indians must keep Ambriz on the active roster or the disabled list for the remainder of the season or he has to be offered back to the Arizona Diamondbacks for $25,000.

Outfielder Trevor Crowe was called up when Andy Marte went on the disabled list. In four games, Crowe has a .333 batting average with one home run, three RBIs, two walks and a stolen base. Crowe has had success throughout the farm system, and has been impressive early for the Indians. In his first pro game this season, he had a two-run home run in the ninth inning and made a catch in the outfield that earned him an ESPN “Web Gem.”

Infielder Jason Donald was called up to the Indians when Asdrubal Cabrera fractured his left forearm Monday. Cabrera is expected to miss up to six weeks, so Donald has a chance to prove himself. In his major league debut on Tuesday, Donald played shortstop and went 2-3 with a walk and a run scored. If Donald doesn’t pan out, the Clippers have more options in the infield with Brian Bixler and Anderson Hernandez.

Who could be next?

Catcher Carlos Santana is considered one of the top prospects in minor league baseball. While he may still be a work-in-progress defensively, it will be hard for the Indians to keep his bat out of the lineup for much longer. Santana has a .320 batting average with 28 walks, 37 RBIs, nine home runs and a .447 on-base percentage. The Indians have relied on Lou Marson and Mike Redmond at the catcher position thus far. Marson has a .207 batting average with 24 strikeouts, seven walks, zero home runs and one RBI in 27 games. Redmond has a .244 batting average with five RBIs in 14 games.

First baseman Shelley Duncan has shown some offensive prowess that the Indians are lacking. Duncan, the reigning International League Most Valuable Player, has a .301 batting average with six home runs and 34 RBIs for the Clippers this year. The Indians have high expectations from first baseman Matt LaPorta, but his numbers haven’t been overly impressive to start the year. LaPorta has a .222 batting average with one home run and four RBIs in 26 games.

Yohan Pino, Carlos Carrasco and Josh Tomlin are options for the Indians as starting pitchers. David Huff and Justin Masterson have struggled with the Tribe. Huff has started the season with a 1-6 record and 5.36 ERA in 42 innings pitched. Masterson has an 0-4 record with a 5.92 ERA through 38 innings pitched.

Pino has a 4-2 record, a 4.43 ERA, 35 strikeouts and 10 walks. Carrasco has spent time with the Indians in the past, but has a 2-2 record with the Clippers in 2010 with a 4.08 ERA. Josh Tomlin has been impressive, with a 4-1 record, 2.59 ERA, 22 strikeouts and only seven walks. The Clippers have shut out two teams this year, both when Tomlin was the starting pitcher.

The Clippers’ relief pitching has been stellar as well. Frank Herrmann has been impressive with a 0.44 ERA through 20.2 innings pitched. Look for him to crack the Indians’ lineup before long.