After 10 years and four albums, Shaman’s Harvest has finally hit the big-time.

Formed in 1996, the group of friends-turned-bandmates released their first album in 1999.

“We got together when we were in high school,” said Josh Hamler, rhythm guitarist for the band. “Somehow we just managed to stick together. Four of the five of us have been playing since 2000 together.”

Success was not quick. The band managed to eke out a living playing shows.

“We started out real grassroots,” he said. “Playing a lot of pubs and every dive you can imagine, in Missouri anyway.”

Slowly the band expanded out of Missouri, garnering enough success to keep them writing and performing.

The band’s newest album, “Shine,” produced its first hit “Dragonfly,” which peaked at No. 34 on the Billboard’s Rock Songs chart.

“It’s really cool,” Hamler said. “It is the first time that has ever happened to us. It has definitely opened a lot of doors.”

Despite the success, Hamler is quick to assure people they are still an independent band.
“We have not signed with a major label,” he said. “It is still something that is 100 percent us.”
This magnifies the importance of the group’s hit single.

“The biggest problem is distribution,” he said. “It is difficult for us to get copies of the CD in all the stores across the country. We really had to rely on the Internet and iTunes sales.”

“Dragonfly” has changed this. “There are more stores weekly getting the ‘Shine’ album or even our back catalogue,” Hamler said.

Shaman’s Harvest parlayed its success into prestigious tour stops. They appeared at Rock On The Range, opening the second stage on the second day.

“For us, we get to play with all the bands we loved to listen to,” he said, bands like Rob Zombie and Three Days Grace, who Hamler thinks they indirectly draw influence from. “It’s an amazing experience for us.”

They have also opened for AC/DC when the classic rock group rescheduled some canceled tour dates.

“It was our first arena gig and it was pretty intense,” he said. Hamler found the way big acts tour “mind-blowing.”

“We have a van and a club as far as gear,” Hamler said with a chuckle. “We didn’t have enough gear to fill the stage, let’s put it that way.”

They will open for Puddle of Mudd later this summer and appear at Rocklahoma, another multi-day rock festival, on May 29.

“It’s another great festival filled with great bands. We are pumped,” Hamler said.

On top of a busy tour schedule, the band found time to record a theme song for the WWE and wrestler Drew McIntyre.

“We are humble and grateful for the opportunity. We want to thank everybody for their support,” Hamler said. “We hope that we can continue to create music that seems to strike a chord in people.”