With a month until graduation, senioritis will not cripple the six seniors on the Ohio State softball team.

While many students in the class of 2010 are enjoying their final days relaxing on the Oval, the six athletes are working ferociously to deliver a strong finish in their final season.

The senior class includes two-time captains Sam Marder, Whitney Cooper and Courtney Pruner, along with other starters Rebecca Schultz, Leah Ledford and Megan Miller.

This class has won 155 games in its four years, which ranks third in program history. Rebecca Schultz attributes this success to everyone’s diversity of skills.

“Not one of us is the same skill-wise at all,” the first baseman said. “It makes for a really interesting combination of people and I think it has made our team stronger. It has been very beneficial for everybody because everyone plays a completely different role on our team.”

The seniors have made their presence felt all year long.

“I think the fact that there are so many of them and that they are all contributing speaks for itself,” coach Linda Kalafatis said. “They are all starters. So that is something you do not always see or happen to find very often.”

The players have used their skills to produce many memorable experiences in their four-year career.

Most of the seniors talked about their 2007 Big Ten championship, a trip to the NCAA Super Regional in 2009 and beating No. 2 Michigan at home in April.

“All of us were on board right from the beginning about what we wanted to do when we came to the school, and how we wanted to leave,” said Sam Marder, an All-American catcher. “I hope this senior class is remembered for how much it persevered and pushed others to be better.”

Marder has shattered many OSU records. She has hit 59 home runs, surpassing Kristine Himes with 41, and has 186 RBIs, trumping Stacy Roth with 166. In addition, Marder has amassed 221 walks, surpassing the previous record holder by 103.

“Hopefully, the person who held the record at one point in time is not forgotten, and I think what’s important about a record is not what the record is, but who represents it,” Marder said. “It’s not the record that means a lot to me, but hopefully how people remember me by as a player.”

Pruner has also had a successful career. She ranks third in OSU history in home runs and RBIs with 36 and 153 respectively.

She needs to hit five home runs and 13 RBIs to jump into second place in both categories.
Softball has been a big influence in Pruner’s life, but she plans to embrace one simple pleasure with her remaining few weeks.

“I’m going to enjoy the feeling of being a regular student,” she said.

With senior day approaching on Saturday at 3:05 p.m., there is a lot of excitement, expectations and emotions.

“It’s almost surreal,” pitcher Megan Miller said. “I remember being a freshman and this day being so far away, and now it’s finally here. It’s going to be filled with lots of tears.”

Marder, Miller, Schultz and Cooper said they are looking forward to playing in front of their families, who are flying in from California.

“I’m looking forward to playing in front of my sister, since it’s her first time here, and enjoying my last couple of games at Buckeye Field with my teammates,” Cooper said.
Schultz said, “I know there is going to be high energy from a large portion of the team, so hopefully we can grab a win. It’s one of my last times to put it all out on the field.”

The Buckeyes are focused to play Northwestern this weekend and will not take them lightly.

“We embarrassed them last year on their senior day so I’m sure they’re looking for revenge,” Pruner said.

The Buckeyes beat Northwestern 10-1 in five innings last season.

With only a few games remaining, the seniors are ready to enjoy one more memory together.

“I’m leaving with so many new sisters than when I started,” Marder said.

With many of the players going their own way after graduation, Cooper and Marder are already prepared to give back to the program.

Both players will be working with the team as student coaches next year.

Although Saturday will surely be memorable for this cohesive group, Miller does not think the memories will stop there.

“We’re going to Oklahoma, just watch.”

Oklahoma City is the site for the 2010 National Championship.