As a tri-captain on the softball team, it’s no wonder why Courtney Pruner refers to herself as “the enforcer.”

“She’s a standout player, so it’s always great when your captains are your best players and/or your hardest workers,” coach Linda Kalafatis said. “She gets some due respect because of the things she does that enables us to win.”

Pruner has a .318 batting average and a slugging percentage of .598. She has 37 RBIs, despite a hip surgery in December 2007 that caused her to miss her entire sophomore season.

“I looked at it like, I’m not going to play softball for 15 years of my life to miss one of my last years,” Pruner said. “All my life I’ve wanted to play four years of Division I college softball. It’s not in my nature to not come back, even though the hip pain was rough and the rehab was rough.”

“But I knew if I wanted to play this last year I’d have to work hard at rehab.”

A redshirt senior, Pruner is primarily OSU’s designated hitter. She has 10 home runs this season and 36 in her career.

Pruner received Big Ten Player of the Week earlier this season in April after going 6-for-7 against the Illinois Fighting Illini. This was the first conference award of her career.

“It’s a huge honor because the Big Ten is such a tough conference and there’s so many amazing players,” Pruner said.

Although Pruner has pitched for the Buckeyes and played infield and outfield, her field time is limited.

“Because of my hips, it’s just way too painful,” Pruner said.
Kalafatis said, “The kids really admire Courtney’s ability to fight through pain and all the things she’s been through. She’s shown some great maturity and leadership in that respect.”

That leadership is exactly why Pruner is captain.

“It’s nice to be respected by your teammates,” Pruner said.