Broadcast journalist Tom Brokaw gave members of the Ohio Chamber of Commerce a look into a journalist’s point of view when he spoke at the chamber’s annual meeting.

Brokaw spoke to approximately 300 attendees at the Capitol Theatre, part of the Vern Riffe Center for Government and the Arts, in downtown Columbus.

Host of the NBC Nightly News for more than 22 years, Brokaw reported on such events as the fall of the Berlin Wall and the September 11 attacks. He has interviewed every president since Lyndon B. Johnson, and his 1998 book “The Greatest Generation” was a best-seller.

Emphasizing the importance of recognition and remembrance, Brokaw told a story of a National Guard unit from his hometown, deployed twice to Iraq, that has suffered multiple casualties.

“Remember that there are wars going on and that our fellow citizens are paying a terrible price, often the ultimate price to keep us safe,” Brokaw said, “We must always remember to honor the warrior, and honor the warrior’s family. They are the most dedicated people I find on the planet today.”

Attorney and labor lobbyist Tony Fiore expressed his enthusiasm for Brokaw’s call to younger generations to take part in public service.

“A lot of folks, especially younger generations, they’re trying to figure out what their career is going to be, especially with this job market and unemployment being so high, but it’s just as important to get them involved in public service,” Fiore said.

Fiore went on to reaffirm Brokaw’s call for recognition of service to the nation.

Brokaw also reflected on a television interview where former Ohio State football coach Woody Hayes walked off the set when questioned about punching a Los Angeles Times photographer. Hayes later returned and asked Brokaw to show him the tape of the punching again. Hayes concluded he had hit the wrong person, which Brokaw noted in the next evening’s broadcast.

International studies major Kelly Hondros said she enjoyed that Brokaw connected to OSU and shared a personal experience.

“It shows Ohio State gumption,” Hondros said, “He stuck to his guns.”