Five days after having undergone heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, Ellen Tressel, wife of Ohio State’s head football coach, is doing well.

Tuesday’s three-hour procedure was scheduled to repair a heart valve to improve blood flow, and Tressel’s mother told the Associated Press that it was successful.

Though Ellen would have been able to receive her husband’s health benefits at the OSU Medical Center, the surgery was done at the Sydell and Arnold Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute at the Cleveland Clinic, said Ed Sammler, hospital administrative manager at OSU.

The Cleveland Clinic has been ranked the No. 1 heart hospital for the past 15 years.

However, the OSU Medical Center has no hard feelings toward the football coach, Sammler said.

“No one would have a problem with him trying to get the best care he can for his wife,” he said.

And it is not unusual that an OSU staff or faculty member would get a procedure done at an outside hospital, he said, because people choose medical centers for a variety of reasons.

After spending the rest of the week recovering, the Tressels are making their way back into the community.

Though Coach Tressel had to miss the Big Ten Conference in Chicago, both he and his wife attended the Kids ‘n Kamp fundraiser at J. Liu Restaurant in Worthington on Sunday evening.

Tressel works closely with Kids ‘n Kamp, a local organization that provides activities for families of children with cancer.