The Wexner Center for the Arts kicked off its farmers’ market with a press conference Thursday afternoon.

The “Market at 15th & High” will be managed by Wayward Seed Farm and feature a dozen vendors. It is the largest market of its kind on campus with all of the profits going to the farmers.

Sherri Geldin, director for the Wexner Center, said that the kick-off event tied in to the center’s “green week.” She said doing things for the environment is important to the Wexner Center.

The event included vendors from Jeni’s Ice Cream, Luna Burger, Stonefield Naturals, Sycamore Circle Heritage Farm, Speckled Hen Farm, The Wayward Seed Farm and the Wexner Center store.

Bobby Moser, dean of the College of Food, Agriculture and Environmental Science, said it is exciting to bring local foods to the community. Ohio State, rich in agriculture and tradition, is helping the agricultural community by bringing healthy foods to children and adults, he said.

Moser said the college is pleased to be part of the market. He said the student farm on West Campus, Waterman Farm, will participate in the market next year.

OSU professor Michael Mercil is the creator of “The Virtual Pasture” located on the west side of the Wexner Center on College Road. The 500-square-foot piece of earth turns into a real pasture on the first Monday of every month. Mercil brought a special guest, a baby lamb, with him to the market.

“Today is a really important day not just for OSU, but Columbus as well,” he said.

Mercil said the market is about increasing agricultural awareness. He said that for OSU, it’s not about “just following agriculture trends, but setting them.”

Geldin said that it was Mercil who pointed out to the Wexner Center that the Oval used to be a grazing pasture for sheep and cows.

Those who attended the event Thursday also had the opportunity to visit the Art & Environment exhibition. The project involves 20 high school students from 16 school districts.

The students participated in a 20-week course at the Wexner Center during which they interacted with artists and scientists to see how different disciplines come together to help solve global challenges.

Each week, the galleries will stay open until 8 p.m. with free admission.

Jaime Moore, from Wayward Seed Farm, said accessibility is important with this market.

“Local shopping is at the height of conversations,” Moore said.

Columbus City Council members Priscilla Tyson and Eileen Paley were in attendance at the press conference to show their support for the market.

The market will open from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Thursday through Oct. 28. Some of the vendors will accept recipients of the Women, Infants, and Children federal assistance program and food stamps.

Each week, the produce that doesn’t sell will be donated to the Neighborhood Services food pantry.