Duron Carter

It appears as if Carter has replaced the departed Ray Small in Tressel’s doghouse. His first strike was being academically ineligible for the Rose Bowl. Strike two was again grade-related, as Carter sat out all of spring practice with academic issues. Tressel said that even if Carter comes back, senior Taurian Washington will be the team’s No. 3 receiver.

However, Carter was solid in his first season. Although he only recorded 13 catches for 176 yards and one touchdown, Carter displayed great hands and played over more experienced players. But until he gets his head on straight in the classroom, he won’t see the field in the fall.

Jake Stoneburner

Stoneburner is the trendy pick for breakout offensive player in the fall, and for good reason. The 6-foot-5, 245-pound tight end should give OSU something it hasn’t had in years: a legitimate pass-catching threat at the tight end position. Throughout spring practice, Stoneburner wreaked havoc in the secondary, as his combination of size and speed make him difficult to cover. An improved offensive line should allow for Stoneburner to put his talent to use.

Mike Adams

The 6-foot-8, 300-pound highly recruited left tackle out of Dublin Coffman has had a rocky start to his career. His freshman campaign was spoiled by a shoulder injury. Later, in 2009, he was suspended for the first two games of last season for violating team rules.
In addition to off-the-field issues, Adams’ performance on the gridiron was rocky at best. However, as the offensive line formed into a cohesive unit toward the end of last season, Adams’ play improved and he is the front-runner to start at left tackle in the fall. He was in great shape in the spring and if he can become a rock protecting Terrelle Pryor’s blind side, the OSU offensive line becomes that much better.

John Simon

Of anyone on this list, Simon appears to be a sure bet to become a star. He gained significant playing time last season as a true freshman, was the star of the April jersey scrimmage and will be a starter at defensive tackle next year. Although he might not appear overly imposing at 6-foot-2-inches, 270-pounds, Simon is nothing short of the Tasmanian Devil when it comes to penetrating the line of scrimmage.

Etienne Sabino

After spending most of his first two seasons on special teams, the athletically gifted Sabino should get his chance to start at strong-side linebacker next year. He’s also reportedly become much more focused in practice and game preparation. If he matches his work ethic with the physical gifts associated with his 6-foot-3-inch, 240-pound frame, the Miami native could be the Silver Bullets’ next star.

Orhian Johnson

Recruited out of St. Petersburg, Fla., as an all-around athlete, Johnson has worked his way up the depth chart and looks to be the favorite to replace Kurt Coleman at free safety. Johnson’s combination of size, coverage skills and run defense aptitude has made him the front-runner in a talented safety field.