Every brave person has a way of eating the yogurt.

In Turkey, this proverb represents how people have their own ways of learning and doing things.

Bulent Bekcioglu, a Turkish lecturer at Ohio State, eats his yogurt much differently than many other university teachers.

Bekcioglu grew up in a small town in Turkey and attended dental school in Istanbul. His girlfriend, who later became his wife, wanted to come to America, and in 1993, he came with her.

Although he decided to come to the United States, Bekcioglu did not want to stay. Because he was planning to go back to Turkey, he decided to attend OSU for his master’s degree instead of practicing dentistry.

During his time at OSU, he was a teacher’s assistant for Turkish classes and realized he enjoyed teaching.

However, he still went back to Turkey to continue practicing dentistry.

In 2003, Bekcioglu’s wife wanted to come back to the U.S., and he hesitantly accepted to move once again.

“The first time I lived here, I didn’t like Columbus at all, but later when we decided to go back, I said I will not go anywhere but Columbus because I learned to love it,” Bekcioglu said.

At first, Bekcioglu said he felt Columbus was too small compared to Istanbul, but now that he has lived in Ohio, he says life is easier here and people are friendly. He also likes the U.S. because it is a melting pot, which reminds him of his home country.

When he came back to Columbus, he was offered a teaching job, and he hasn’t gone back to dentistry since.

“I am not interested in dentistry that much. Maybe I’m lazy, that’s why,” he said, laughing. “Teaching was an opportunity for me to do something I really liked.”

In the classroom, Bekcioglu says he is very relaxed. He wants his students to love the Turkish language the same way he does, he said.

He focuses on not only the language itself, but also the culture, background and people of Turkey.

“He breaks away from the monotonous structure of other foreign language classes,” said Tarik Erk, a third-year in political science. “It is more of a Turkish family rather than a class.”

Bekcioglu treats all his students like family. Once a quarter, he welcomes them into his home for a Turkish dinner.

“It’s almost like a class,” Bekcioglu said. “They learn the foods, they see a Turkish house, and they socialize with Turkish people and make new friends.”

Many university teachers wouldn’t invite students to their home, but Bekcioglu feels it is more than normal.

“One of the main things about Turkey is the hospitality,” Bekcioglu said. “It’s not strange for me to invite students to my home, it’s actually how it’s supposed to be.”

Bekcioglu makes Turkish appetizers known as mezes and different kinds of kebobs.

“I’m not a very good cook actually, but I cook kebobs very well,” he said.

His students disagree. They enjoy his cooking.

“He and his wife cook the best Turkish food anyone could ever really conceive,” said Alex Rosa, a fourth-year in international relations and diplomacy.

Rosa said she believes Bekcioglu’s hospitality is what inspires his students to participate and learn.

“If more professors opened up their homes the way Bulent does, people would become far more motivated to do the work assigned,” Rosa said.

In Bekcioglu’s classes, he is known for his sense of humor. His students call his funny opinions on life Bulent-isms.

Bekcioglu says he uses humor in his classes because he does not expect every student to learn Turkish in one particular way.

“I want them to find their own way and have fun while learning the language,” he said. “Therefore, I always use Turkish music, cartoons and jokes in my classroom.”

When Bekcioglu isn’t teaching, he is running Karavan, a Turkish store in the Short North he opened six years ago.

He decided to open the store after attending a Short North Gallery Hop.

“I wanted to bring Turkey over here,” he said.

Bekcioglu said the store is his sanctuary because he gets to meet new people and talk about Turkey every day.

Most of the items in his store are handmade. During summers and spring breaks, he travels to Turkey and brings back items for his store.

“Our class always has an open invitation to his store, whether it’s to have tea or ask for extra help,” Erk said.

The most gratifying thing about teaching for Bekcioglu is when his students take an interest in Turkey.

“Young minds are learning about my country and culture,” he said. “When they start learning, they love it more and want to learn more. If I can do that for them, that is rewarding.”

In return, Bekcioglu’s students feel rewarded by having him as a teacher.

“The food I enjoy, what I read and the music I listen to are all things I have done because of Bulent,” Erk said. “His class is a hidden gem at our university.”