As track No. 1 suggests, the self-titled album from Philadelphia folk band Good Old War is “Good.” But it’s only good enough. As track number two suggests, “Here Are The Problems.”

The main issue that prevents the album from being a solid whole is the band’s insistence on including three instrumental tracks interspersed throughout the album titled “Good,” “Old” and “War.” It’s a cute trick, but the tracks themselves are each less than a minute and are not that impressive. Plus, no one would be impressed if another band did it: “Guns,” “N” and “Roses?”

Although a plurality of the songs are fun, several are less than interesting. The single “That’s Some Dream” is one of them. “While I’m Away” is simply a lame ballad.

Most of the rest are pretty catchy, however. The trio of musicians employs its signature use of triple vocal harmonies to set them apart from others in the folk field, especially on songs such as “My Own Sinking Ship.” “Making My Life” is (take this from a critic who’s very into metal music) incredibly adorable.

“Good Old War” comes out on the positive side of the grading rubric, but only barely. Less distractions in the form of self indulgent short songs could help the next album.