Former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett has enrolled in classes at the university for the second summer session, which began on Monday.

“Maurice Clarett has been granted reentry into The Ohio State University, following a review by the College of Education and Human Ecology, where he was originally enrolled,” OSU director of media relations Jim Lynch said in a statement.

Clarett was released from the Toledo Correctional Institution in April after serving on 3 ½ years of a 7 ½ year sentence for aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon.

In negotiation with his early release, Clarett was ordered to spend four to six months at a dormitory step-down center on Alum Creek Drive. Inmates are permitted leave to work or attend classes.

Clarett was quickly recognized on campus.

“This is a surreal feeling to be back at Ohio State in such a supportive environment,” Clarett said in a statement. “I have looked forward to being back in school and I’m doing my best to fit in with other students. I don’t want to be a distraction or nuisance to the football team or to students on campus.”

Clarett might be back in the classroom, but he won’t be making an appearance on the field. After the Buckeyes’ 2002 National Championship, Clarett signed with an agent, forfeiting any remaining eligibility.