The difference between Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor and Miami’s Jacory Harris was interceptions in the Buckeyes’ 36-24 victory. 

The Buckeyes forced Harris into four interceptions, and converted each turnover into a score.

Pryor didn’t throw a single interception.

“When you can create four takeaways, you’re going to have a chance,” OSU coach Jim Tressel said. “And when you have zero giveaways, you’re going to have a real good chance.” 

Defensive end Nathan Williams took the first interception and ran it back inside the Miami 10-yard line. 

“Every game that’s the key, rattle the quarterback, affect the quarterback,” Williams said.  “I just wish I would have housed it.”

Cornerback Chimdi Chekwa kept the pressure on Harris as well, recording two interceptions.

“It turned the field and gave the offense a chance to have good field position and put some points on the board and I think we capitalized on that,” Chekwa said. 

Chekwa read when Harris dropped back for the long ball. 

“I was very surprised, I didn’t expect it to come, but I read Jacory,” Chekwa said. 

Pryor threw for 233 yards, his longest completion a 62-yarder to wide receiver DeVier Posey.

Saine finished the scoring drive with an 18-yard touchdown from Pryor to get the momentum going.

“There was a little belief that started happening from there that, ‘I think we can pass protect and we can throw and catch, but it was a good answer,'” Tressel said.

Pryor completed 12 of 27 passes and was only sacked once.

“Today was the most comfortable I ever was,” Pryor said. “I feel like I make very good decisions and we go into games thinking no turnovers.”    

Despite Pryor’s poor completion percentage, Tressel was satisfied with his quarterback’s output.

“We’d like to be a little bit better than that, but when you throw it 27 times and get 233 (yards), that’s probably nine yards or so plus per attempt,” Tressel said. “Anytime you’re over eight yards an attempt, that’s a good thing.” 

Harris finished 23-39 for 232 yards, but his four completions to the wrong team hurt Miami’s chances. Tressel said Pryor’s ability to avoid turnovers was the key.

“That’s a pretty good job passing,” Tressel said. “Part of passing is deciding when not to pass.”