“The Last Smoker in America,” a new musical comedy about a world where smoking has been outlawed, is coming to Columbus.

The show, which will run Sept. 29 through Oct. 24 at the Riffe Center, will open in Columbus before hitting Broadway.

“The Last Smoker in America” is a rock-influenced musical presented by the Contemporary American Theatre Company about a dysfunctional family attempting to cope in a world where smoking has been banned.  

The show chronicles Pam (Katy Blake), the mother and English literature professor, who is having an impossible time trying to kick her smoking habit. Also featured is her husband, Ernie (John Bolton), who dreams of being a rock star, and their teenage son (Teddy Toye), an avid rap fan who is convinced he’s black.

Bill Russell, a Tony nominee and co-writer of the book and lyrics for the show, said he was inspired by a friend who smoked.

“A good friend of mine and unrepentant lover of tobacco has said for years that she would be ‘the last smoker in America,’ so I co-opted that for the title and that was the inspiration,” he said.

Described as “un-politically-correct” by some, “The Last Smoker in America” holds no punches in making fun of certain groups, including the government and smoking and anti-smoking groups, and tackling controversial issues.

“I think that’s really polite,” said artistic director Steven Anderson about the show’s “un-politically-correct” moniker.

“It’s a satire,” said director Andy Sandberg. “Much of the comedy does push the boundaries of political correctness, addressing issues that are not necessarily the Disney-audience kind of issues.”

Sandberg said the show’s ruthless, irreverent style might be the reason for the label.

“Really nobody is left unscathed,” he said. “It acknowledges issues of race and politics and civil liberties, all in a tongue-in-cheek attitude, which a lot of people might consider to be faux pas at cocktail conversation.”

CATCO is getting the chance to showcase “The Last Smoker in America” to Columbus before the show heads to Broadway to play for New York audiences.

“We knew we wanted to do a production out-of-town before bringing the production to New York, just to have a chance to really fully realize it and give it a chance to sort of find its legs before we bring it back home,” Sandberg said.

Now, after six years of writing and development, constant script changes and even reducing the show from two acts to one, Sandberg said putting the show together has been quite difficult.

“People say birthing a new musical is more complicated than birthing a child,” he said. “I have never experienced the latter, but as to the former, it’s challenging but also a really fun ride.”

Students can receive discounted tickets at $10 for preview shows Sept. 30 through Oct. 5. by entering the promotional code “FILTER” either at the Ohio Theatre box office, by phone or through Ticketmaster.com.