Two students became Ohio State royalty over the weekend, and more than 100,000 people witnessed their coronation.

The 2010 OSU homecoming king and queen were announced Saturday before the Buckeyes’ win against Purdue.

Adam Gerson became king, and Colleen Miller was crowned queen.

Ironically, the king doesn’t receive a crown. But Gerson, a fifth-year in business and psychology, doesn’t mind.

“I can live without” the crown, he said.

For Gerson, the most memorable moment was singing the Alma Mater in Ohio Stadium after being named king.

“Standing on the 50-yard line with Archie (Griffin) and Colleen and singing ‘Carmen Ohio’ was an incredible moment,” he said.

Gerson didn’t expect to receive the top honor.

“I’ve never been so surprised about anything,” he said.

He was eager to see which of his friends would be chosen rather than himself.

“I thought, ‘Adam? Well that’s not their name, that’s my name,'” he added.

Miller, a fourth-year in nutrition, was equally surprised.

“I was completely in shock,” she said. “I was excited just to be on the field.”

Miller echoed Gerson’s sentiments about linking arms with fellow candidates and singing “Carmen Ohio” during pre-game.

Watching the 100,000-plus fans forming their arms into O-H-I-O together was especially emotional, Miller said.

“It choked me up,” she added. “I could feel the music.”

The homecoming weekend kicked off with the homecoming parade on Friday, which featured the entire court.

Miller loved the excitement, saying, “I think that was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever done.”

The homecoming parade theme was “A Buckeye World.”

Adam Burden, coordinator of student involvement at the Ohio Union, said the theme was meant to celebrate OSU’s diversity and international involvement.

More than 70 parade entries were expected to march, including one from Block “O” showing Brutus riding a magic carpet in the sky.

Committee of 88, a student organization comprised of representatives from each of Ohio’s counties, entered a float symbolizing the counties by including cityscapes and cornfields, Burden said.

Along the parade route were four grandstand areas featuring CD 101, Scarlet and Gray Radio, Buckeye Ag Radio Network and Coca-Cola.

Local celebrities such as OSU President E. Gordon Gee, Miss Ohio and Archie Griffin made appearances.

The parade began at 6 p.m. at the Ohio Stadium and marched east on Woodruff Avenue, south on High Street, west on 12th Avenue and ended at the South Oval with the homecoming pep rally.

The pep rally included appearances from coach Jim Tressel, the football captains, cheerleaders, Brutus and the marching band.

The goal of the pep rally was to get “fired up,” Burden said.

During the rally, Gee mentioned that the Princeton Review selected OSU as having the most obnoxious fans.

“I love every one of you here because we are the most spirited group of people in America,” Gee said. “We love being the most obnoxious people in America.”

Jami Jurich contributed to this story.