With his 6-foot-3-inch, 335-pound body frame, it’s easy to see why Ohio State defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins goes by the nickname “Big Hank.”

Hankins, a native of Detroit, is six games into his freshman campaign and has already made his presence felt, recording 10 tackles and a sack. As Hankins continues to give OSU productive minutes, his role in the defensive line rotation will only increase.

“You’re going to start hearing his named called a little bit more because he’s going to get a few more reps as the year goes on,” said ESPN analyst and former OSU linebacker Chris Spielman on 97.1 WBNS’s “Sunday

Sports Brunch,” following the Indiana game.

Hankins presents a tough matchup for opposing offensive linemen, not only because of his size, but also because of his deceptive speed.

Hankins can run, OSU defensive coordinator Jim Heacock said.

Perhaps just as important as his physical skills is Hankins’ understanding of the importance of taking advantage of every opportunity he has on the field.

“You can’t take off because if you take off one play, anything can happen,” Hankins said.

Playing with intensity every play will be crucial for not only Hankins, as well as the rest of the football team, as the Buckeyes are ranked No. 1 in every major college football poll. Hankins understands OSU will play with a target on its back the rest of the season.

“It’s going to be tough,” he said. “Teams are going to be coming out fighting, ready to knock us off, but we have to hold our ground.”