The world of mainstream rap is one in which many artists rise to stardom and sink back to mediocrity in a matter of months. Cleveland-based rap group Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, which performed at Newport Music Hall on Sunday, has maintained success within the genre for nearly two decades.

The rain and cold on Sunday night did not stop hundreds of fans from flocking to see one of the biggest groups in the history of hip-hop.

The lineup on this tour consisted of members Krayzie Bone, Layzie Bone, Wish Bone and Flesh-n-Bone, accompanied by a live band.

“I feel lucky to even get to see a group like Bone Thugs within my lifetime,” said Connor Parrill, 20. “I mean, they worked with (Notorious B.I.G). Who is still in the game that can say that?”

The show featured the group playing several hit songs with a focus on the group’s second album “E. 1999 Eternal.” The album was a tribute to the late rapper Eazy-E and includes the single “Tha Crossroads,” which won the group a Grammy Award in 1997.

Eazy-E was instrumental in the success of the group, which signed with his label, Ruthless Records.

“He was a visionary who really bought our bus ticket and made us relevant on a mainstream level,” Wish Bone said in an interview with The Lantern.

Having recorded hit singles with Tupac, Notorious B.I.G. and Akon, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony has evolved its style.

“Just because we are singing about the Lord or the streets, it does not mean people aren’t still out there killing each other,” he said. “The longevity comes from delivering that message and doing certain things right in the eyes of the Lord.”

Wish Bone credits the Midwest with the development of the group. He said its sound from the sense of struggle in the area, blended with a variety of Motown influences.

“We can’t really be placed in one genre. It is more about a thug mentality with rhythm.”

That melodic and aggressive style has helped the group sell more than 30 million records through 11 studio albums in its 19-year career.

“I really would have loved to see Bizzy Bone, but the group with the live band came with so much energy.. I really could not have been more hyped up about it,” said Sean Foster, 35. “That is impressive for a group that was huge when I was in college.”

Wish Bone said that Bizzy Bone is no longer with the group and he did not care to comment about the situation.  

Embracing the evolution of the music industry and the Internet has contributed to the group’s continued success.

“It is a business, just like any other, and short attention spans is what they reach out for because that is what is more sexy to the average listener,” Wish Bone said.

“But there is still a place for music of substance, and those are the people we reach out to.”

The group released its latest album, “Uni5: The World’s Enemy,” in May under its own label, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony Worldwide.

“It is a different sound that is more mature and really shows our versatility as a group,” he said. “Everyone has someone looking down on them, like they don’t want to see me shine. But it’s like the sun, you can’t stop it.”

His advice for young rappers is to refocus their energy so it is not solely about rapping.

“Just because the ice cream looks good,” he said “That does not mean it will taste good to everybody,” he said.