A day after CNN’s Rick Sanchez called Jon Stewart a bigot and a bit “prejudicial” on a radio talk show — also questioning whether Jews should be considered a minority — the longtime television host got canned from the station.

He acted like a complete buffoon. In the interview, his basic premise was that Stewart makes fun of Sanchez because he is a Cuban and Stewart belongs to the East Coast media elite controlled by Jewish media.

Anyone who has seen Sanchez understands that the reason Stewart makes fun of him has nothing to do with the fact that he’s Cuban. Sanchez produces an unbelievable amount of fodder for Stewart. That wouldn’t change regardless of his age, gender or race.

This isn’t the first time an event like this has happened. In July, senior reporter Octavia Nasr was fired for expressing an opinion on Twitter. A month before, respected news reporter Helen Thomas was forced to resign because of a remark.

Their comments might have been wrong, but it pains me when I turn on the television and see another journalist getting fired for expressing an opinion.

Most news organizations tell their reporters that anything they write on the Web should represent the network’s opinions.

That’s ridiculous.

I’d like to have more opinions in my news. I’d like to know what anchors think politically and, if they’re willing to share it, I’d like to see their voting records, just like I do with my politicians.

If Rick Sanchez or Helen Thomas believes in an idea that might be racist, I’d like to know about it rather than have them shield their opinions to keep their jobs. If Octavia Nasr honestly admires something about a Hizbollah cleric, I’d like to know about that. Then I’d like to hear their explanations and views.

If we get to that point, then we can have those opinions out in the open for everyone to see. Unrestrained, we will then be able to have the greatest debates and discussions ever.