The No. 5-ranked Ohio State field hockey team (14-3, 4-1 Big Ten) won its eighth straight game Wednesday, shutting out Ball State University (6-11) from Muncie, Ind., 5-0. OSU controlled play from the beginning of the game, scoring all five goals in the first 38 minutes.

“We were working hard for every ball out there today,” senior midfielder Aisling McKeon said. “If it was a 50-50 play between us and the other team, we won the battle.”

Defensively, OSU pitched its fifth shutout of the season, never allowing Ball State a shot on goal.

“We made a decision before the game that we weren’t going to let them get any shots,” senior co-captain Bri Doak said. “We played aggressively and played well together.”

During the current winning streak, OSU has outscored the opposition 36-4 giving the team a great deal of confidence heading into its last regular season game at Iowa.

“We just really want it this year. Our main goal is the Final Four (of the NCAA tournament) and we are not taking anything for granted,” Doak said.

OSU coach Anne Wilkinson believes the OSU’s recent success is a result of hard work.

“They’re out here everyday giving everything they have. They’ve been working hard on their fitness and stick skills. Some of them are even staying after practice on their own, working on execution,” Wilkinson said.

OSU plays at 1 p.m. Saturday at University of Iowa to end the regular season.