After a year of discussions, the Gateway Film Center will become one of the first all-3-D cinemas in the United States.

Six digital screens will be installed by Friday, with two more to be completed by November, making Gateway Film Center one of Ohio’s few all-digital cinemas and one the country’s few all-3-D theaters.

“Digital cinema gives the exhibitors the opportunity to really improve the quality of the image and a whole bunch more flexibility,” said Chris Hamel, president of Gateway Film Center.

Tickets for non-3-D films will remain $6 for students, but a $3 charge will be added for 3-D films.

Digital technology allows cinemas to ditch bulky film reels in favor of computer-based programming.

Theaters receive films either via satellite or on a hard drive. A technician places the content on the theater’s library on a master server, with each projector having its own server. Theater workers can program which movies they want to run and when.

“We literally program it at the beginning of the week and walk away,” Hamel said.

Going digital also eliminates problems with film — such as scratches, noise and grain — to present a crystal-clear, high-definition image.

With “Jackass 3-D” — a film almost exclusively distributed in 3-D — taking the top spot in last weekend’s box office, and with more than 30 3-D films set for release in 2011, the decision to convert to 3-D came at a good time.

“Theaters that don’t offer (3-D) are going to be left behind,” Hamel said. “I think it’s going to continue to be a viable business. If you want to be in exhibition, you’re going to have to offer 3-D.”

Unlike most cinemas, Gateway Film Center chose to devote 3-D technology to all its screens. Most other cinemas only devote one or two screens to 3-D, forcing theaters to choose which 3-D films to screen..

The cost of converting to digital and 3-D was not cheap. Hamel said it was a “significant financial investment” but did not give an exact figure because the conversion is not fully paid for yet.

A report in The Columbus Dispatch said the conversion cost $500,000. Hamel would not give the exact figure but said The Dispatch’s number was “in the ballpark.”

The switch to digital will also allow Gateway Film Center to show sporting events broadcast on TV in 3-D on its screens, as well as other content, such as documentaries and even operas, which are not as easily accessible on film.

“Going digital allows the Gateway Film Center to greatly expand what we offer to the community,” said Meghan Vesper, sales and marketing manager at the film center. “We are excited for the opportunity to screen alternative content.”