When LeBron James took his talents to South Beach in July, the Cleveland Cavaliers were left searching for a new leader and a starting small forward. Jamario Moon might be the man to fill both roles.

Moon started the first three games of the post-James era at small forward for the Cavs, in addition to having started all but one of the Cavaliers’ preseason games.

Moon insisted he’s not trying to replicate what the reigning MVP brought to the Cavs.

“My role don’t change,” Moon said. “I just want to come out, bring energy, keep my teammates loose, keep everybody smiling, and understand it is basketball and let’s have fun. But at the same time, let’s win games.”

Even if what he does on the court doesn’t change, Moon, who averaged 17.1 minutes per game last season, is aware that he’ll be called on to log more minutes for the Cavaliers now that he’s a member of the team’s starting lineup.

“That gives me more of an opportunity, so I just got to make the most of that opportunity,” Moon said.

Moon’s career has been defined by making the most of opportunities.

The 30-year-old’s path to the NBA couldn’t be more different from his predecessor’s in the Cavs’ starting lineup. Neither Moon nor James attended a Division I college, but that’s where the similarities end.

A native of Goodwater, Ala., Moon played college ball at Meridian Community College, in Meridian, Miss., where he averaged 20.8 and 8.7 rebounds in one season for the Eagles. He entered the 2001 NBA Draft, but was not selected.

From 2001-07, Moon played for 15 different professional teams and seven different leagues, including stints in the NBA D-League, U.S. Basketball League, Continental Basketball Association, American Basketball Association, World Basketball Association, Mexican League, International Basketball League and most notably, a 2004 stint with the Harlem Globetrotters.

After impressing team officials at a three-day mini-camp, Moon caught his big break when he signed a two-year deal with the Toronto Raptors in July 2007.

Moon said his seven-year journey from community college to the NBA has made him more appreciative of the opportunity he’s been given.

“I’m glad that I didn’t get drafted straight out of college, or straight out of high school,” Moon said. “I’m glad that I had to go through what I went through to get here, ‘cause it makes me realize, ‘You’re here now, but it could be gone tomorrow, so you better enjoy every moment while you can.'”

As a 27-year-old NBA rookie, Moon made a quick impact for the Raptors, starting 75 games.

In 2009, Moon was included in a midseason trade that sent him and former NBA All-Star Jermaine O’Neal to the Miami Heat in exchange for forward Shawn Marion. The following offseason, Moon signed his second NBA contract as a restricted free agent, a three-year deal worth an estimated $8.92 million with the Cavaliers.

Aside from impressing fans with his defensive prowess, Moon has also become known for his acrobatic dunks, which landed him a spot in the dunk contest during the 2008 NBA All-Star Weekend. Moon said watching his favorite players growing up motivated him to make high energy dunks a part of his game.

“You watch the greats like Michael Jordan,” Moon said. “My biggest NBA star coming up was Scottie Pippen, watching Scottie and Michael, and then watching Vince (Carter), and all I wanted to do was do it, so I just tried to do it.”

Moon has used his jersey number as a way to honor his favorite dunkers throughout his career. Playing with the Raptors, he wore No. 33 in honor of Pippen and with the Heat he wore No. 8, which was Pippen’s Olympic number. With neither number available in Cleveland, Moon decided to honor Carter by wearing No. 15.

New Cavs coach Byron Scott said Moon is still learning his Princeton-style offense, but that Moon’s skills are ideal for the Cavaliers’ up-tempo pace.

“Energy and athleticism,” Scott said when asked what Moon brings to the team, “but he’s still learning and trying to get comfortable with it.”

Moon said Scott’s offense gives him an opportunity to showcase his talents.

“Get out and run the lanes, and just up and down basketball — that’s what I do,” Moon said. “I like to get out on the wings, catch a couple of lobs, and get the fans out their seat.”

Moon became a fan favorite last season with the Cavaliers when he introduced them to the “Goosey,” a hand signal formed by pinching together the thumb and index finger while raising the remaining three fingers and holding the hand up to an eye after a successful 3-point shot attempt. Moon said despite James’ departure, the atmosphere in the Cavaliers locker room hasn’t changed.

“We still got the same attitude, man. We want to win,” Moon said. “It hasn’t changed just ‘cause we have new players and a new system. It’s still all just about winning. The Goosey ain’t going nowhere.”