K.C. Accidental’s “Captured Anthems for an Empty Bathtub & Anthems for the Could’ve Bin Pills” paints beauty in the mind’s eye with lo-fi instrumental ramblings that sound like a relaxing psychedelic journey through space.

Originally formed in 1998, K.C. Accidental is a Canadian post-rock band. It includes Broken Social Scene’s founder, vocalist and guitarist Kevin Drew, and Charles Spearin, who has also contributed to Broken Social Scene.

The full-length, two-disc album was released yesterday by Broken Social Scene’s record label, Arts & Crafts, and consists of the original recordings by K.C. Accidental, available for the first time outside of a handful of independent record stores in Canada.

“Anorexic He-man” stands out as one of the faster-paced songs on the album. Spazzy and somewhat disturbing, it makes for an adventurous experience, keeping listeners on their toes and unaware of where the sound will take them next.

The album also features other well-known Canadian indies, such as Emily Haines and James Shaw, from Metric, and James Payment and Justin Small, from Do Make Say Think.

The intricate musical orchestration of K.C. Accidental is an amusing contradiction to the duo’s name. The tracks are soothing, melodic and full of energy at the same time. Utilizing classic-stringed instruments and electronic spacey effects, listening to the album feels like being caught in a chasm between classical and modern music.

“Them (Pop Song #3333)” contains the majority of the album’s sparse vocals with the lovely combination of Haines’ and Drew’s voices, backed by slow-string instruments and fast upbeat drums.

K.C. Accidental definitely isn’t for everyone, but for those who have acquired a taste for trance-inducing music and hypnotic sound landscapes, this album might provide motivation to start meditating more often.