While Ohio State’s dominating 38-10 victory over Indiana on Saturday might have appeared, on the surface, as just another home beating handed out by the Buckeyes this season, it was far more significant.

With the OSU win, Jim Tressel earned his 100th career victory as the Bucks’ head coach and became just the third man, in the company of Woody Hayes and John Cooper, in the storied program’s rich football history to do so.

However, in typical Tressel fashion, when asked about the landmark victory, OSU’s head man downplayed the historic feat.

“I’ve been here a long time,” Tressel said. “This is a place that if they let you stay long enough, you should win 100.”

Although Tressel gave the accomplishment little acknowledgement after the game, those around him took the time to pay tribute to the man often referred to as “The Vest.”

OSU athletic director Gene Smith interrupted Tressel’s postgame comments to present Tressel a trophy. The placard read,

“Commemorating Coach Jim Tressel’s 100th Buckeye win with sincere appreciation from your football family.”

Even though Tressel was coy with the media regarding his accomplishment, cornerback Chimdi Chekwa said his coach had a chance to relish in the moment with his players following the win. “It was a fun time,” Chekwa said of the brief postgame locker room festivities.

“There was cake; Tress was in the middle jumping around a little bit … it was fun.”

Senior co-captain Dane Sanzenbacher said they also presented Tressel with a signed sweater vest to highlight the occasion.

And despite his modesty, Tressel did say he took time during the game to reflect on his late father, Lee Tressel.

“I thought a little bit about the fact that my dad came here in 1943 and chose to, after spring ball, go serve his country,” he said. “This was always his team, no matter where he coached in high school or college. Ohio State was very special.”

OSU will be special for Jim Tressel as well. Now in his 10th year at the helm for the Buckeyes, Tressel became the quickest OSU head coach to 100 wins and third quickest in Big Ten conference history to do so.

Coming to Columbus after serving as Youngstown State’s head football coach for 15 years, Tressel was no stranger to success, earning 135 wins and four national titles during his time in northeast Ohio.

He took little time to pick up where he left off with the Penguins.

Tressel began his climb to icon status at OSU during a basketball game in mid-January 2001, when he first addressed the Buckeye faithful, proclaiming, “I can assure you that you will be proud of your young people in the classroom, in the community and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Mich., on the football field.”

Now with his 100th Buckeye win behind him, Tressel and his players said their focus is turned to win No. 101.

“It is really neat. Coach Tressel is an awesome guy,” offensive guard Justin Boren said. “Personally I’m excited for him and I know as a team, we are all excited for him. Hopefully we get No. 101 for him next week against Wisconsin.”

When asked if he could see himself reaching 200 or 300 wins at OSU, Tressel said, “probably not” and added that he is focused on No. 101, and that’s as far ahead as he is thinking.

A look at Tressel’s signature wins at OSU:

Reaching the century mark in wins Saturday, Jim Tressel has produced some memorable ones both for himself and Buckeye nation alike. Here are just a few of his most unforgettable:

Sept. 8, 2001 vs. Akron: Pacing the sideline for the first time as Buckeye head coach, Tressel garnered his first win with the Scarlet and Gray with a 28-14 OSU triumph.

Nov. 24, 2001 at No. 11 Michigan: Looking to back his boastful claim from 310 days prior, Tressel’s next significant victory came in his first taste as head coach of the OSU-Michigan rivalry. Losers of six straight in Ann Arbor, OSU beat Michigan, 26-20.

Jan. 3, 2003 vs. No. 1 Miami (Fla.): After winning just seven games in the 2001 season, his lowest total with OSU, Tressel began exhibiting his coaching prowess the following year, navigating the Bucks to a 13-0 regular-season record.

Boasting a perfect record to that point in the season, Tressel produced arguably the most memorable of his 100 victories with a 31-24 double overtime thriller with the Miami Hurricanes en route to OSU’s first national title in more than 30 years.

Nov. 20, 2004 vs. No. 7 Michigan: Coming off his first loss to the Wolverines, Tressel helped his team bounce back and pull off the big upset in Columbus, defeating the No. 7-ranked Michigan squad. This victory would prove to be the start of OSU’s six-game winning streak over the Maize and Blue.

Jan. 2, 2006 vs. No. 6 Notre Dame: Tressel earned his 50th career victory with OSU in Tempe, Ariz., with a 34-20 defeat of Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. The win gave Tressel his third season of double-digit wins in his first five seasons with OSU.

Nov. 18, 2006 vs. No. 2 Michigan: Featuring the nation’s top two teams, the 2006 edition of the Buckeye-Wolverine rivalry was one of the most highly anticipated in history. Producing a 42-39 nail-biter, Tressel extended his dominance over Michigan and led OSU to its second national title appearance during his tenure.

Sept. 15, 2007 OSU at Washington: The Buckeyes’ non-conference 33-14 victory over Washington early in the ’07 season marked Tressel’s 200th career victory as a head coach. Sitting at 235 career wins, he is the second-winningest active coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision behind only Penn State’s Joe Paterno.

Jan. 1, 2010 OSU vs. Oregon: With criticism of his inability to win “big games” surrounding Tressel, he led the Bucks to their first Rose Bowl appearance in more than a decade last season. Leaving Pasadena, Calif., with the 26-17 win, Tressel completed his seventh season of 10 wins or more in his nine-year stay at OSU.