“Sale el Sol” is the second album in two years for Columbian pop star Shakira. If they were being made simultaneously, the extra year of effort shows in the new release.

Last year’s “She Wolf” was characterized by the music video for the title track, which featured Shakira writhing suggestively while caged. The video, although appealing to teenage males everywhere, lost the artist some credibility with tougher pop audiences.

The new album rights the train without sacrificing any of the hip-shaking anthems that Shakira has made her name on.

Among the few disappointing tracks on the album are the two singles. The first was released early in the summer as the official song of the World Cup in South Africa.

“Waka Waka (Esto es Africa)” is well-intentioned in its call to help Africa, but “Feed the World” it ain’t (plus it sounds like a Muppets reference).

The first official single is “Loca,” a homage to crazy love featuring a thick bass drum and Dominican rapper El Cata. It works as a dance floor single, but for a good time listeners should call on the track “Gordita,” a song that’s even catchier and features Puerto Rican rapper Calle 13.

The album’s strongest feature is that the majority of it is in Shakira’s native tongue. She simply sounds smoother (and from an American perspective, sexier) when she opts for Spanish.

The best tracks on the album are not the club-centered songs, however. “Lo Que Más” is a piano ballad that Shakira pours herself into, and the passion goes a long way. “Devoción” features the same zeal but blends it with Shakira’s pop sensibilities, making it the best track on the album.

Many apologies to anyone sitting on YouTube looking for a new Shakira video to spend the night with, but this time around, she’s serious.