Senior offensive lineman Connor Smith never takes the feeling of running into the Horseshoe on game day for granted.

“I think if you don’t feel something every time you go in front of 105,000 people, there is something wrong with you,” Smith said.

Smith has been used to the big stage since his high school days at Colerain High School in Cincinnati. He was a highly touted recruit, tabbed with labels such as 2005 Gatorade Ohio Player of the Year and Greater Miami Conference 2005 Offensive Player of the Year.

The 6-foot-4-inches, 313-pounder was named first team All-Ohio in 2004 and 2005 and was on the 2006 Parade All-America team. Smith was also invited to the U.S. Army All-America Bowl in San Antonio, Texas, following his senior season at Colerain.

Five years later, Smith is nearing the home stretch of his career as a Buckeye, but he would rather think about the tasks ahead. “I try not to think about it,” Smith said. “We have to get better because we can’t get to where we want to go if we are not progressing.”

Smith redshirted his freshman year at OSU in 2006 and earned his first varsity letter the following season in 2007 playing some at the right guard position.

Smith also won letters his sophomore and junior seasons, providing stability to a deep offensive line, mostly in a backup role.

A seasoned veteran in his fifth year with the Buckeyes, Smith knows that this year’s team has to improve every day if it want to accomplish its goal to be national champion.

“Every day we work on what we need to accomplish that day,” Smith said. “We need to improve efficiency when we are running the ball.”

Smith also stresses the importance of winning games on the road, especially after scares like the team had at Illinois earlier in the season.

“Being away from home is different; we have got to improve on the road definitely,” Smith said.

Smith may always be thinking of ways the team needs to improve on offense, but is happy to be part of the offensive line where all the players seem to clique.

“The O-line is a tight-knit group,” Smith said, “the tightest group out of everyone on the team.”

Though Smith isn’t in the starting line-up, he takes every opportunity to be a leader for the younger players.

“You just try to give them tid-bits about something you see in their game,” Smith said.

Smith may be running out of time as a Buckeye, but makes the most out of every day for one last run at a championship.