Fourth-year Ohio State student Margaret Wingenfeld and her father, Don Schmidt, will join 15,000 runners for the 31st annual Columbus Marathon on Sunday.

A couple years ago, Schmidt was told that because of his weight, he had high blood pressure and cholesterol and was at high risk in every category tested from a blood sample, he said.

But one day at the breakfast table, Wingenfeld told her father she was going to help him lose weight.

She made a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet for 30 days for Schmidt to follow.

The combination of the diet and walking regularly enabled Schmidt to lose 107 pounds in nearly 10 months.

Each year, the Columbus Marathon recognizes 10 runners with a Spirit Award, which honors runners who have overcome “considerable obstacles” to train for the marathon, according to the marathon’s website. Anyone can be nominated for this award, and Schmidt and Wingenfeld, unknowingly, nominated each other.

In addition to receiving the Spirit Award, Schmidt and Wingenfeld will receive the first-ever Family Award.

The two love to share their story because it is close to their hearts, Schmidt said.

Although Wingenfeld is an exercise and health enthusiast, she said her father “is a much better runner than I am.”

The two will run the race side by side.

“We are running this together,” Schmidt said. “I will run this with her shoulder to shoulder.”

Schmidt said he hopes people will hear their story and be inspired to do the same thing.

In addition to the new Family Award, the Columbus Marathon has added a variety of ‘fun’ elements to the race, race director Darris Blackford said.

Blackford has been running marathons since 1991. The Columbus Marathon was his first.

He has been involved in planning for the Columbus Marathon since 1999, participating in a couple of different committees and teams. In April, he was asked to use his marketing background and step up as race director.

When the race begins, there will be fireworks and confetti cannons, and church bells will ring down Broad Street.

“It’s just going to be an overload of sound as they’re taking off in the first section,” Blackford said.

To keep the runners’ spirits high, there will also be 80 musical groups, balloon arches, colorful signs and banners throughout the course, Blackford said.

“There shouldn’t be a single point on the course where people can’t hear something,” he said.

There will also be a variety of food available at the end of the race.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, salty snacks and warm chicken broth are just a few of the new items added to the menu.

Blackford said he thinks the Columbus Marathon is a great event, and it has been for many years. He wanted to add a few new things for the runners’ benefit, he said.

This year was the fastest year the marathon sold out. Blackford received many e-mails from people who weren’t able to sign up.

“It wasn’t a surprise to me,” Blackford said. “But I think it was the biggest surprise to our participants this year.”

The Columbus Marathon gets help from the community. There are 1,500 volunteers who help at the water stops and various places throughout the course.

Regarding the Spirit Award, Blackford said he encourages people to share their stories.

“We’re very proud of those inspiring stories,” Blackford said. “I love hearing that people are inspired by the efforts of others.”

Blackford also said the Columbus Marathon is proud to be what he calls “a first-timers’ race.”

It will be Schmidt and Wingenfeld’s first marathon.

“We want this to be a memorable experience for all of our runners,” Blackford said. “So we do whatever we can to make that happen.”