Ohio State might be well-known for its football team and band, but fashion groups are moving toward center stage.

The Fashion Production Association is an organization on campus that focuses on the stylish side of OSU.

One does not need to be a fashion major to participate. All majors are welcomed in this organization and each play an integral part in making the end-of-season fashion show what it is.

“We welcome anyone who wants to join FPA,” said Erica Clark-Covert, president of FPA. “You can get class credit based on your number of designs and how much you helped with production and marketing for the show.”

FPA is made up of 80 members, 30 of whom are designers. Each member contributes something different.

“We have architecture majors who really contributed with (garment) designs for last year’s spring fashion show,” said Alexander Lubera, FPA’s director of design.

The organization is now designing clothes for its spring fashion show, which will be held in May. The show features the designs and their student fashion designers.

“We want to prove to the people in the fashion industry that we can compete with schools that have a more recognized fashion program,” Clark-Covert said.

Nancy Rudd, an associate professor in consumer sciences at OSU, started FPA 17 years ago. It originally debuted as a course but became an organization in 2007.

As heads of a fashion organization, the officers shared their fall fashion advice.

“Jewel tones are very hot right now,” said Nicki Smith, the treasurer and marketing director of FPA. “Colors like deep purples, blues and greens.”

Lubera added that “lace, ruffles and chunky knits are also very ‘in’ for the fall season.”

Bangle-style bracelets, feathers in hair and equestrian-style boots are also trendy this season.

However, certain apparel is “out” for fall 2010.

“UGG boots and spandex leggings are bad,” Smith said. “And leggings need to be checked in the sunlight before you wear them, otherwise they could be see-through.”

FPA members didn’t leave out men’s fashion, either. Clark-Covert, Lubera and Smith all said military designs are in style, along with more subdued blues and greens.

The directors of FPA are fans of shopping thrift stores to find great buys at low prices.

“The Short North has really good thrift stores,” Smith said.

Clark-Covert added that Rag-O-Rama and Goodwill are the best places to find great key pieces to add to your wardrobe.

While FPA is busy working toward its annual fashion show, it works to recruit new members.

“We won’t turn away anyone,” Clark-Covert said. “The more diversity we get, the better.”