Widely considered one of the most influential musicians and songwriters of the last century, Bob Dylan and his band will perform at the Schottenstein Center tonight at 8.

Folk artist Woody Guthrie influenced Dylan’s early years as a musician, and as a result, Dylan’s work incorporates a variety of social and political themes. Many of his songs have become anthems for civil rights and anti-war movements, such as the now-classic “Blowin’ in The Wind.”

Dylan has won many awards during his career, spanning multiple media forms. His trophy case holds 11 Grammys, one Oscar for his song “Things Have Changed” from the film “Wonder Boys” and one Golden Globe for the same song. The 2007 film “I’m Not There” featured six actors portraying Dylan at different stages in his life. The film earned its own Oscar nomination.

In 2008, he was awarded an honorary Pulitzer Prize. The committee said it was for his “profound impact on popular music and American culture.” In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked his “Like a Rolling Stone” as the “greatest song of all time.”

Considering his prestige, it’s logical that there is a group devoted to his music and message. He requested the formation of The Bob Dylan Fan Club in 2005, co-director Kait Runevitch said.

“He expressed concern that what he was doing was escaping some people and that he did not have time to address people personally,” Runevitch said. “We share the things we discussed with Bob that he deemed important, like how his music sounds different and the importance of his live shows.”

Runevitch said she has seen Dylan perform about 275 times since 1997, and the performances are not the only aspect that inspires her to keep going.

“Every experience is unique and enjoyable and has afforded me the opportunity to travel the world and meet some amazing people,” she said.

Runevitch said one of Dylan’s best qualities is his skill for staying relevant.

“One of the biggest reasons I respect him is his ability to continually reinvent himself,” Runevitch said, “both through his albums and his live shows.”