Men’s hockey swept in Alaska

The Ohio State men’s hockey team left Alaska this weekend with a little extra baggage.

The Buckeyes traveled more than 3,000 miles to Fairbanks, Alaska, and picked up two losses against Alaska on Friday and Saturday.

OSU junior goalie Cal Heeter held the Nanooks scoreless during regulation, with a game total of 29 saves Friday. Just 11 seconds into overtime, Alaska was granted its fifth power-play chance of the game, which it quickly converted into the game-winning goal.

Alaska completed its sweep of the Buckeyes with a 6-2 win Saturday, a game in which OSU had five power-play chances but converted on none.

OSU fell to 13-12-2 and 8-10-2-2 in conference play.

The Buckeyes will host Michigan State at 7:35 p.m. Friday.

Women’s hockey picks up pair of wins

Ohio State freshman forward Ally Tarr evaporated the St. Cloud State women’s hockey team’s dream of picking up its first win Saturday in St. Cloud, Minn.

With less than a minute remaining in regulation, it appeared overtime was on the horizon for the teams tied 2-2. But Tarr scored with 51 seconds remaining, securing a 3-2 win for the Buckeyes.

Junior forward Natalie Spooner led the Buckeyes’ 6-1 rout of St. Cloud State on Friday with four goals.

The Buckeyes improved to 14-12-2 and 8-12-2-2 in conference play. The Huskies fell to 0-26-1.

OSU returns home to face North Dakota at 7 p.m. Friday.

Lavender, team get much-needed week off

Even with 26 points from senior center Jantel Lavender and 18 from sophomore guard Tayler Hill, the Ohio State women’s basketball team (13-8, 4-5) couldn’t top Penn State on the road Sunday.

The Lady Lions (18-5, 7-2) capitalized on the Buckeyes’ mistakes, gaining 20 points on 13 turnovers and picking up an 80-71 win.

OSU trailed the entire game, unable to put together a successful run.

The Buckeyes will host Northwestern at 5 p.m. Sunday.