Cheese. Bread. Butter. Sizzle.

And you have grilled cheese.

Enjoyed by people of all ages, this American tradition is simple to make, and is a staple across the country.

Gooeyz takes grilled cheese to a whole new level. Located in the South Campus Gateway, Gooeyz offers a wide variety of “gourmet” grilled cheese at reasonable prices ($3-$7). Let’s just say this is not your mom’s grilled cheese sandwich.

Gooeyz opened in August last year. This restaurant is a great option for Ohio State students looking for a delicious twist on the American classic.

The atmosphere of the dining room is very relaxing. The main dining area seats about 35-40 patrons. The kitchen is out in the open as a part of the main dining room and gives customers a chance to witness the magic of the grill.

The Food

Gooeyz offers several, cleverly named grilled cheese sandwiches. All of Gooeyz’ sandwiches are grilled on thick, Texas-toast style bread, generously buttered, and grilled to perfection.

At the suggestion of the cashier, I tried the Bayouie Gooeyz, the restaurant’s most popular specialty sandwich.  

The Bayouie Gooeyz is a Cajun-style, grilled cheese sandwich with chicken. The bread is layered with melted pepper jack cheese and coated with the restaurant’s specialty Cajun sauce. A generous portion of grilled chicken pieces is piled on top of lettuce, tomato and onion.

To say the least, it was the best grilled cheese sandwich. Ever.

The Bayouie Gooeyz is one of 10 specialty sandwiches. Other specialty sandwiches include the Mooey Gooeyz (Roast Beef), the Baba Gooeyz (Gyro) and the Gobble Gooeyz (Turkey).

Another sandwich that I tried was the most popular sandwich on the menu, the Valuey Gooeyz. This is the original. The classic. The bread and butter (and cheese) of the grilled cheese industry.

Aptly named, this sandwich is a great value, in relation to the others offered. For about $3, the Valuey Gooeyz is as basic as it gets. One word to describe it: Gooey.

There was so much cheese on this sandwich, it was almost overwhelming. This is a sandwich for cheese fanatics.

The Hideout

In an attempt to cater to OSU students, the second floor of the restaurant is a full service bar. With seating for about 40 upstairs, the relaxing mood of the downstairs dining room continues.

The bar features several beers on draft including Natural Light, Bud Light, Stella Artois, 312 Ale and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

The upstairs stage has live music on the weekends and Karaoke on Tuesdays.

Gooeyz is a great destination for food at all hours of the night. It is open until midnight Monday through Wednesday, 10 p.m. Sunday, and 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday.

I will be recommending this to my friends, people I work with, classmates, professors and anyone else I can talk to.

Gooeyz provided a $5 discount to The Lantern’s reporter for this review.