Former Columbus Crew player Robin Fraser was introduced Wednesday as the new coach of Club Deportivo Chivas USA of Major League Soccer.

During his playing days, Fraser became an “original” MLS player when he was drafted fourth overall by the Los Angeles Galaxy in the 1996 inaugural player draft. Fraser’s storied career included time with the Galaxy (1996-00) and the Colorado Rapids (2001-03) before retiring after two seasons with the Crew (2004-05).

Though short, Fraser’s time in Columbus included a banner 2004 season in which he earned MLS Defender of the Year, as well as both MLS All-Star Team and MLS Best XI selections.

Fraser spent the past four seasons serving as assistant to Real Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis, helping the team to its first MLS Cup championship in 2009.

“The Goats” new coach inherits a club that posted an 8-18-4 regular season record in 2010, which resulted in only 28 points in the standings and last place in the Western Conference. Fraser’s managerial responsibilities will take effect immediately in preparation for the 2011 MLS SuperDraft on Jan. 13.

In his first press conference as the Chivas skipper, Fraser said, “I’m extremely excited about this team and where we can take it. My goal is improvement.”