The Ohio State community will wish the Ohio Union a “happy birthday” Tuesday with a variety of events to celebrate the one-year anniversary of OSU’s $118 million student union.

The day will include a literal hug of the building, in which an anticipated 1,000 students will gather in the Performance Hall of the building then wrap around the Union to embrace the building, according to an e-mail to OUAB members from Katie Krajny, coordinator of student involvement at the Union. The hug will take place at about 4:15 p.m., with people meeting for an informational meeting 30 minutes beforehand.

There will be a countdown to the anniversary beginning at 11:30 a.m. A balloon drop will follow at noon with a free cake reception for attendees. The Union officially opened at noon on March 29, 2010, when the ribbons were cut and the doors were opened.

At 1 p.m., the Union is unveiling and dedicating a stained-glass window featuring the faces of OSU students, faculty and staff.

The Union is encouraging students to participate in as many events as they please and sent out an invitation for a special dinner for students, The Ohio Union Anniversary Dinner. The invitation said a dinner and dessert buffet will be specifically for students who signed up ahead of time.

The dinner is scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m. and last for about two hours.

Ben Wallace, a fifth-year in biology and pre-medicine, said his experiences with the Union have been mostly positive. Wallace is the president of two student organizations: Buckeye Barbeque Qlub and Buckeyes Give Back.

“The Union is a great place for our organizations to meet, instead of trying to hang out at our house,” Wallace said.

Wallace did say, however, that he wished the policy on outside food was different. Wallace said the Union did not allow outside food for some of his events. He said all food on Union premises has to be purchased through the Union.

The Ohio Union policy states “all food and beverage services in and around the Ohio Union are to be provided by Catering 1870 in the Ohio Union or Catering 101.”