Even Ohio State football players couldn’t escape the celebration of Osama bin Laden’s death Sunday night.

Freshman defensive lineman Joel Hale and freshman tight end Jeff Heuerman joined the mass of OSU students at Mirror Lake, and jumped in to celebrate the death of the terrorist leader.

Hale said he hadn’t heard the news when Heuerman came into his room.

“I was laying down and I was basically asleep Sunday night, and my buddy Jeff (Heuerman) came and woke up me and said, ‘Hey, let’s go down to Mirror Lake,'” Hale said.

Even as the two were walking to the lake, Hale still didn’t know why they were going.

“I had no idea what was happening,” he said. “I thought we were going to get food at Mirror Lake.”

The event marked a special moment in the players’ careers at OSU because football players do not typically jump in Mirror Lake during Michigan week.

However, Hale said he jumped in on a whim, not because it was his only chance to participate in the OSU tradition.

“It was really kind of spur of the moment,” he said. “We saw everyone screaming and jumping into the lake and we just thought, ‘Let’s go jump.'”

Hale said he likes the camaraderie among the OSU students, but because he has yet to see Michigan week, he couldn’t compare the two Mirror Lake jumps.

“We were talking to Jeff’s roommate and he said it was not to the point of Michigan week but it was getting pretty close,” Hale said.

Heuerman declined to comment.