Former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor’s professional career officially began Monday after his third-round selection in the NFL supplemental draft by the Oakland Raiders.

Pryor, who was ruled eligible for the draft on Thursday by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, joins former OSU cornerback Chimdi Chekwa in Oakland.

Goodell also suspended Pryor from games and practices through Week 5 of the NFL season for making decisions that undermined the integrity of the NFL draft, according to a Thursday NFL press release.

Pryor will not appeal the five-game suspension, according to multiple reports.

Drew Rosenhaus, Pryor’s agent, did not respond to The Lantern’s  request for comment following the quarterback’s draft selection.

After negotiating and signing a contract, Pryor will be able to participate in the remainder of Oakland’s preseason camp. He will then join his teammates as they prepare for a Week 6 home game against the Cleveland Browns.

The Oakland Raiders did not immediately respond to The Lantern’s request for comment.

A little more than two months ago, Buckeye fans expected Pryor to be gracing the Ohio Stadium field for his senior season — not the O.co Coliseum, home of the Raiders and Major League Baseball’s Oakland A’s, for his rookie NFL season. 

In Dec. 2010, Pryor agreed to a suspension for the first five games of OSU’s upcoming season after he sold OSU football memorabilia for improper benefits in the form of tattoos. Pryor, who allegedly committed other violations, then departed the university on June 7 to pursue a professional football career.

His departure came just days after former head coach Jim Tressel was forced to resign from his position. Pryor was later declared ineligible for intercollegiate athletics in a July 26 letter from OSU athletic director Gene Smith.

Despite the quarterback’s unceremonious exit from campus and the self-imposed vacation of the 2010 season as part of the university’s self-imposed penalties for NCAA violations, Pryor’s name remains sprinkled throughout Buckeyes’ football record books.

Vacation of the 2010 season notwithstanding, Pryor served as the OSU signal caller from 2008–2010 and compiled an overall record of 31-4, including a 2-0 record as a starter in BCS bowl games.

The Jeannette, Pa., native also led the Buckeyes to three victories over Michigan.

In addition to tying Bobby Hoying’s school record of 57 touchdown passes, Pryor also finished his collegiate career as the all-time leading rusher amongst OSU quarterbacks with 2,164 yards.

Pryor stands alone in second place among all Buckeye players with 8,341 yards of total offense.

The Raiders begin their 2011 season with a Sept. 12 away game at Sports Authority Field against the Denver Broncos.