When Aleksa Palladino isn’t busy starring as Angela Darmody on HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire,” she spends her time recording and performing music with her husband, Devon Church. Together, the pair makes the foundation of the New York-based electronic, indie-rock band Exitmusic.

The band is touring to promote its new four-song EP, “From Silence,” which was released Oct. 4. They will be performing at Outland Live Friday at 7 p.m. with Phantogram.

While the band has been around for a few years, there is no exact moment that they formed, because it happened over time.

“We sort of formed gradually,” Church said, who plays guitar and keyboard. “The two of us lived together, and we both love music. We started writing more and more songs together, and eventually we had an album.”

Just as the couple formed Exitmusic gradually, their songwriting process is based on the slow buildup of pressure in daily life, said Palladino, the lead singer.

“The way we write is often from a place that you can’t really reconcile in (your) day-to-day life,” Palladino said. “It’s kind of just stuff that happens to you, and you need to do something with it, so you write.”

The band also has Dru Prentiss on the drums and Nicholas Shelestak on electronics.

Palladino’s purpose in writing music is not merely to tell others how she feels, but rather to discover her own emotions.

“The real attraction to doing it is just being completely surprised with what I find out about myself,” she said. “There’s been plenty of times when I’ve written songs and didn’t realize that something was weighing that heavily on me on a conscious level.”

The emotional epiphanies that drive Palladino’s writing are only briefly represented in the band’s new album, with the hope that she will be able to more fully explore them in follow-up albums, Palladino said.

“‘From Silence’ is sort of like a little entry into a world that will be more fully explored next spring with the release of the full-length album,” Palladino said.

Since Exitmusic’s 2007 debut album, “The Decline of the West,” Palladino’s attitude toward her own voice has changed drastically.

“I had such a weird relationship with my own voice that I didn’t really wanna hear it,” she said. “I think I’ve grown into myself a bit more, and my voice a bit more. I’m not afraid of it.”

For the most part, Exitmusic’s songs consist of calm yet strong background music topped with Palladino’s eerie, soothing vocals. Palladino said they try to combine solid song structure with an engulfing wave of sound on every song.

“We love the idea that if you strip away all of the production, the song could just be played on a guitar with a voice and it’s gonna stand up on its own,” she said, “but at the same time, we love sound and sound design so much. So I think it’s really finding a way to marry both of those successfully.”

Andrew White, a fourth-year in civil engineering, said Exitmusic is too different for his taste.

“It’s a little too extreme and too unusual for my liking,” he said. “I like a lot of progressive stuff, but this is way too alternative.”

Church said the future of Exitmusic is sure to be eventful. He said that on top of the full-length album that is scheduled to be released next spring, they are filming music videos and touring the United States as well as Europe.

“There should be a lot of fun stuff coming up in the next year,” he said.