With the “Heartbeat Bill” making its way through the Ohio Statehouse, many students have opposing viewpoints on the topic of abortion.

The House passed House Bill 178, more popularly known as the “Heartbeat Bill” on June 28. The bill is now in the hands of the Senate, and if passed it will be one of the strictest abortion legislations that Ohio has had, according to heartbeatbill.com

“It’s not going to be law,” said Joey Longley, a third-year in economics and political science and a member of OSU College Democrats. “It’s blatantly unconstitutional and it is a blatant violation of the Roe v. Wade decision.”

The Roe v. Wade decision was passed by the Supreme Court in 1973 and allowed for women to have legal abortions without any restrictions in the earlier part of pregnancy. The ruling did impose restrictions once the child was able to live outside of the mother’s womb, which is usually around 24 weeks.

However, some students question when the beginning of life really starts.

Eddie Luersman, a second-year in plant health management and member of the Pro-Life Club at OSU, said he thinks it is hard to define when exactly a life becomes a life, which is why he supports the Heartbeat Bill.

“If you go straight to conception it is a (secure) definition, where you can actually say that is where is the started, no ifs, ands or buts,” Luersman said.

Teia Crawl, a third-year in hospitality management said she thinks that a child is not necessarily human until it is outside of the mother’s body and an abortion should be the woman’s decision.

“It should be her right. It shouldn’t be some congressman or somebody telling (someone) you can’t do this or this,” Crawl said.

A new commercial in support of the bill will air in Columbus next week.

According to The Associated Press, the commercial highlights the fact that the bill will not only be the strictest in Ohio, but also the one of the strictest in the U.S.

The commercial will also features a school bus full of children as an example of how many children will be protected from abortion if the bill is passed.

The protection of children as well as mothers, especially on OSU’s campus, is something that Meagan Niezgodski, a first-year in psychology and member of the Pro-Life Club at OSU, said she is very concerned about.

“This limitation on abortions would be beneficial because there is so much emotional toil and terrible things that happen through an abortion,” Niezgodski said.

However, health and safety for a woman is what Longley said he is most worried about losing through the passage of this bill.

“It’s dangerous because there are no provisions for the health of a woman in cases of rape or incest,” Longley said.

The bill does not allow any exceptions when it comes to these types of issues.

In order to pass, the bill needs 17 of 33 senator’s votes.