After the Indiana-Ohio State men’s basketball game ended Saturday, citizens of Bloomington, Ind., had cause to celebrate on New Year’s Eve well before the clock struck midnight.

The No. 2-ranked Buckeyes lost their second game of the season against the No. 15 Hoosiers, 74-70, at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind.

With OSU trailing, 72-70, Buckeyes senior guard William Buford heaved a potential go-ahead 3-point shot with 2.3 seconds remaining in the game. Buford missed the target, though, and Indiana gathered the rebound and added free throws to clinch the win.

In a game that featured eight ties and 10 lead changes, the Hoosiers retook the lead with less than a minute to play after OSU sophomore guard Aaron Craft’s turnover lead to an uncontested lay-up by Indiana sophomore guard Victor Oladipo that put his team up, 71-70.

Oladipo’s late bucket turned out to be the game-winner for the Hoosiers (13-1, 1-1 Big Ten).

Craft scored a team-high 16 points and added four assists and two steals. Sophomore forward Jared Sullinger tallied 15 points in the game, but failed to score in the final 2:26 of regulation.

With the loss, OSU drops to 13-2 overall and 1-1 in Big Ten play. The Buckeyes didn’t suffer their second loss of the 2010-11 season until February 20, 2011.

Conference play continues for OSU Tuesday against Nebraska at 6:30 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.