Former Ohio State football center Mike Brewster has been fighting to improve his draft stock this past week during preparation for Saturday’s Senior Bowl — literally.

A co-captain of the 2011 Buckeyes squad and a four-year starter for OSU, Brewster has had mixed results during the week of practice leading to the showcase game for NFL prospects.

Thursday’s practices in Mobile, Ala., site of the Senior Bowl, was canceled due to severe weather. However, Wednesday’s practices didn’t go well for Brewster, according to a report from Tony Pauline, a Sports Illustrated draft expert.

Some of the center’s successes during the week, as well as his struggles, came against an old rival from the “team up north.”

“(Center) Mike Brewster of Ohio State is having a tough go of it this morning,” Pauline wrote on cnnsi.com. “He was just beaten badly by Mike Martin of Michigan, who had been quiet most of the day. Brewster has been struggling to hold the point and continues to get pushed back off the line.”

After Tuesday’s practice, Pauline wrote: “(Center) Mike Brewster of Ohio State and (defensive tackle) Mike Martin of Michigan are again battling hard in practice. Brewster laughed about it yesterday and noted it’s just a continuation of what’s taken place the past four years.”

A week of ups and downs for Brewster, a 2010 All-American and all Big Ten Conference honoree, might not deter the player from reaching professional football.

In a November interview with The Lantern, ESPN college football analyst Todd McShay said Brewster, who could not be reached for comment, should still find his way to the NFL.

“He’s really played well (for OSU),” McShay said. “He’s been their best lineman. He’s going to find a way to succeed in the NFL. He’s just one of those guys.”

Saturday’s Senior Bowl in kicks off at 4 p.m. in Mobile at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. The game will be televised nationally on the NFL Network.

Michael Periatt contributed to this story.