Ohio State quarterbacks were protected from contact during Saturday’s Spring Game, but they still saw their fair share of pressure.
Rising sophomore Braxton Miller and rising redshirt junior Kenny Guiton saw 11 plays blown dead for “sacks,” though the players weren’t actually tackled during the Scarlet team’s 20-14 victory against the Gray team.
Despite the sacks allowed by the Scarlet and Gray teams’ offensive linemen, OSU remains confident in that position group.
Redshirt junior Jack Mewhort saw limited action for the Scarlet team during the game, but saw his side concede seven sacks by the end of the game.
Mewhort credited some of the Scarlet offensive line’s dysfunction to the player draft for the Spring Game, which separated players who were used to playing next to one another.
“I thought guys battled really well. I don’t know if we’re necessarily getting beat up,” Mewhort said after the game. “You know, we weren’t the cohesive unit that we are. Guys were playing next to different guys than usual. I was proud of the way the guys went out and battled. I think guys competed.”
Throughout spring ball, senior defensive lineman John Simon said he was impressed with how the group of linemen has come together.
Simon also said he expects the offensive linemen to be an area of strength for the Buckeyes by the fall.
“As an (offensive) line, you can’t really pick one guy,” Simon said. “It’s more, O-line has to play cohesive, and I think they do that. They really learned each other and they’re really comfortable with each other and, you know, a lot of guys that are just very sound at blocking in general.
“I think our O-line is going to be tremendous and a strong point of our team this year.”
First-year OSU coach Urban Meyer said he has seen the unit progress since he took over the program.
“I had three or four miss my first team meeting,” Meyer said. “Unfortunately, we had a couple miss my second team meeting.”
With spring ball having come and gone, Meyer said the unit begun positive trends in key areas.
“Their bodies are changing a little bit,” Meyer said, “and their attitudes are changing.”
OSU opens its 2012 season Sept. 1 against Miami (Ohio) at Ohio Stadium.