If former Ohio State center Michael Brewster is going to make it in the NFL, he’ll have to do it the hard way.

All seven rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft came and went without Brewster’s name being called, and the player will now have to go the route of free agency in order to achieve professional success.

A four-year starter for the Buckeyes and a vocal leader during the 2011 season, Brewster was an All-American and first-team all-Big Ten Conference performer in 2010. During the 2011 season, Brewster was also named a game captain a team-high eight times. 

Brewster played in a total of 51 games for the Buckeyes during his career, and started 49 consecutive games to end his career.

He graduated in December with a degree in strategic communication.  

OSU had four players – Mike Adams, DeVier Posey, Daniel “Boom” Herron and Nate Ebner – taken in the draft. 

Adams, a partner of Brewster’s on the offensive line for the past four season at Ohio Stadium, was the first former OSU player taken in this year’s draft and went to Pittsburgh in the second round. Posey was also selected on the second day of the Draft, ending up with the Houston Texans after his third round selection.

Both Herron and Ebner went in the sixth round to the Cincinnati Bengals and the New England Patriots, respectively.