Former Ohio State men’s basketball guard Jordan Sibert said it was in his best interest to transfer to the University of Dayton after playing two seasons with the Buckeyes.
Sibert played in 24 games for OSU during the 2011-2012 season averaging three points in more than 11 minutes per game. The 6-foot-4 sophomore said it was time for him to move on and that he feels confident in Dayton.
“I like their style of play and I like the direction their team is heading in,” Sibert said.
Sibert said he talked to OSU coach Thad Matta, family and friends before making the decision he felt was best for him after a long thought process.
“Just talking to coach, getting his opinion on me leaving and what he thought was the best option for me,” Sibert said. “We talked about what option was best for my family and my future.”
Matta said he wished Sibert success with his decision.
“Jordan has worked to improve since he became a Buckeye two years ago,” Matta said in a release. “He has represented our program well and we wish him the best.”
Sibert said Dayton’s coach Archie Miller was one of the first people to reach out to him after he declared his intentions of transferring.
“I know when I opened my recruitment he was one of the first people who contacted some of my family members, so I felt pretty comfortable with him,” Sibert said.
Sibert said that comfort level with coach Miller and staying close to home near Cincinnati factored into in his decision.
“It’s close to home, I know the head coach there and I just think it’s a good situation for me,” Sibert said.
J.D. Weatherspoon, Sibert’s former AAU and OSU teammate, said he believes Sibert can make an impact for the Flyers on the court and can help improve their team.
“He’s a good shooter and he brings quickness which helps on the defensive end,” Weatherspoon said. “Jumping passing lanes and getting steals is his favorite.”
Sibert will have to sit out next season as he will have two years of eligibility with Dayton starting in 2013-14. He said he will improve his game and focus on school during the time off next year.
“It’s actually pretty good because I got some time off to get better, improve my ball handling and improve my conditioning,” Sibert said. “Definitely also focus on school and working towards getting my degree with the time off.”
Sibert said his time at OSU has been a great experience overall.
“I had great teammates, made great connections and the people who worked on the staff were great,” Sibert said. “I loved every moment I had there.”