Ohio State football beat Michigan State on the field, but the battle off the field is ongoing.
First-year OSU coach Urban Meyer said he thinks the team sent footage of MSU offensive lineman Jack Allen gouging OSU junior defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins in the eye. Prior to the gouging incident, the two universities’ athletic directors settled a dispute regarding altered game footage the Spartans football team received in preparation for Saturday’s game at Spartan Stadium, where the Buckeyes won, 17-16.
“I really don’t know. Every conference is different. I don’t know,” Meyer said of the Big Ten’s protocol for addressing the matter. “I think it gets turned in, and then I believe it’s in the conference offices or the team’s way of handling it. I believe we did turn (the video) in.”
The Big Ten did not respond to The Lantern’s request for comment Monday.
OSU defensive line coach Mike Vrabel said Hankins received the cheap shot between plays.
“You know, somebody trying to take a cheap shot at you, whether that be a chop block or poking you in the eye or doing something, I don’t think has any place in the game, especially at the college level or any level,” Vrabel said. “Whether (MSU is) telling their guys or coaching it or allowing it to happen, I don’t know.
“I tell (redshirt senior defensive end Nathan Williams) nobody is worth … a 15-yard penalty.”
MSU athletics spokesman John Lewandowski declined The Lantern’s Monday request for comment regarding whether the Spartans addressed the issue.
“(MSU coach) Mark Dantonio conducts his weekly press conference (Tuesday). We won’t be issuing any statement today,” Lewandowski told The Lantern in an email.
Hankins had three tackles in the Buckeyes’ win against the Spartans, helping the team stay undefeated at 5-0.
OSU is scheduled to continue Big Ten play with a home game against No. 21-ranked Nebraska (4-1, 1-0 Big Ten). MSU (3-2, 0-1 Big Ten) is set to travel to Bloomington, Ind., to face the Indiana Hoosiers (2-2, 0-1 Big Ten).