Sophomore wide receiver Tyrone Williams has been dismissed from the Ohio State football team.

OSU athletics spokesman Jerry Emig announced that Williams had been dismissed from the team prior to coach Urban Meyer’s weekly press conference Monday morning. While no official reason was given, Meyer said there would not be an opportunity for Williams to rejoin, citing only “violation of team rules.”

Williams was second team all-Ohio as a senior at Shaw High School in East Cleveland. There, the 6-foot-6 player helped his team win the Lake Erie League championship, and was named all-Lake Erie and all-district. Williams also lettered in track and basketball.

As a part of the 2010 recruiting class, Williams redshirted that season as a true freshman. He did not respond to The Lantern’s Monday request for comment. 

Demonstrating above-average control and solid hands, Williams was tipped by some to be one of the players most likely to breakout in the 2011 season. He played in eight games, making his first collegiate start against Purdue, in which he caught two passes for 28 yards.

In August, wide receivers coach Zach Smith spoke about the progress Williams had been making. Smith said that in the spring, it was Williams’ practice methods that were hindering his progress rather than a lack of talent. However, the coach said Williams had recently become like a brand new player with his late-summer efforts. Smith said Williams had impressed the entire coaching staff, and he found the player’s progress encouraging for the season ahead.

Prior to his dismissal Monday, Williams had not registered a catch in the 2012 season. He had also earned a team-low two Buckeye Leaf helmet stickers. Meyer said Williams cannot work his way back onto the team.

“He’s done,” Meyer said.