Fall is finally here – well, almost. Post-Labor Day is a time for cleaning out your closet and restocking it with items for breezy days and nippy nights. However, this doesn’t mean you have to say goodbye to your favorite summer staples just yet. Make them fall-friendly with a few layering tricks and some creative thinking.

Make the most of your maxis: Maxi dresses and maxi skirts were huge last season and are probably some of the most comfortable items a girl can own. Don’t pack these fabulous frocks away just yet. Layer a chunky knit sweater over a maxi dress for a look that is curl-up-with-a-coffee cute. Opt for a long-sleeved T-shirt and jean jacket with your maxi skirt for warmer days (you can always forgo the jacket). Pair these looks with high-heeled booties, which are different from boots in that they only go up to the ankle, to complete your city-chic look.

Tighten up your shorts: Once the cold weather sets in, shorts tend to become obsolete. But don’t give up on them now. Tights make even your shortest pair windy-weather-approved. Instead of your typical black, gray or navy, look for patterned cable-knit tights. Thicker tights – think first-grade fabulous – look perfect with a pair of knee-high boots and will actually keep your legs warm. Pairs in Fair Isle, which is a pattern of soft tones and smokey shades of color, or argyle prints make for an easy fall-to-winter transition.

Wear white: Anyone who ever said “no” to white after Labor Day must have never owned a proper pair of white jeans. Essentially seasonless, white jeans offer a classic look and can be perfectly paired with a plaid button-down and camel-colored, cropped suede jacket. If you have them in a skinny-style, wear them with heeled, leather boots to elongate your leg (flat boots will make your legs look shorter because of the drastic color difference). Flared styles look great with heeled booties or black pumps. It’s a super sophisticated look that never goes out of style.

Buy a blazer: If you don’t have one, get one. This jacket will work with anything in your wardrobe no matter the season. Layer it over a sleeveless sundress for added warmth or wear it with your white jeans. Both cropped and boyfriend blazers look fabulous with a long, lean maxi dress. To avoid a bulky jacket, layer your blazer over a comfy, colorful cardigan for an easy pop of color while still feeling practical.

These boots were made for walking: Boots bring any outfit to the forefront of fall fashion. You can wear them with everything from skinny jeans to sundresses and look flawless. Opt for an all-leather pair and be sure to treat them with a weatherproof finish before walking out the door.

When it comes to fall fashion, the secret is layers, layers and more layers. It’s all about being comfy-cozy while still looking great, so really, anything goes. Take pieces from any season to find the perfect combination for you. But no matter what your outfit, you can’t forget the “it” accessory this season: a yummy pumpkin spice latte! (You know you’ve been waiting all summer for it.)